Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Innocent Voices

Innocent Voices


The Salvadoran civil war was fought between the government and the FMLN, a coalition of the country's filthy communists.  Since Reagan and Bush were in office, the United States supported the government.  That means films based on that conflict will side with the rebels, and show the US as propping up a tyrannical government.  In Nicaragua, it was the opposite.  The FSLN (the nation's Communist Party) - aided by U.S. congressional democrats (who always have their own foreign policy), was opposed by the Contras.  It was American policy to side with the Contras who, naturally, are portrayed as the bad guys in American movies, but not by the Nicaraguan people. God help me. I couldn't stop myself. This review is more political than the movie.

Anyway, I watched  Innocent Voices over the weekend.

Based on the true story of a now-grown Oscar Torres, this moving film (set in El Salvador in the mid-1980s) follows the drama of a young boy who must choose between enlisting in the Salvadoran army or joining up with a band of guerrillas. Director Luis Mandoki presents a society of innocent victims who are caught in a blinding cross fire, a life-or-death environment in which survival is a daily struggle.

Salvadoran boys were conscripted into the army at age twelve, so both mothers and sons dreaded that 12th birthday.  The film focuses on young Oscar and his school friends, and it doesn't hurt that his mom (the dad skedaddled to the US when the shooting began) is a lovely woman. The story line obliquely acknowledges the US military adviser presence, but makes clear that the the rebels are every bit as guilty of committing the same atrocities as the government.  So, it becomes a matter of one's circumstances, as it always will, when it comes to choosing a side.

Minimal politics aside, this is a damned good movie.  Had I been in young Oscars shoes, I'd have reacted just as he did. Except at age 12 I would never have had the courage to kiss my girlfriend.  I gave it 5 stars, one of them because it's subtitled, which I prefer.  On NetFlix (instant), Amazon,  and others. Surprisingly upbeat ending.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review. I've been meaning to see it and now I will.

*It's the politics of these things that makes me crazy*

A straight up story might just soothe some old scars.

A Porch sitting Lupine

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Tell us what you think afterward.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.