Monday, May 09, 2011

Refrigerator and Freezer

Consumer Report
Electrolux Refrigerator and Freezer
Another Premium Service from TRKOF



And they're silent!
Electrolux Refrigerator Freezer

And they're silent!
The Freezer (Roll)

The Refrigerator (Roll)

Just before Christmas MoSup prevailed. We replaced our Sub Zero refrigerator and freezer.  We bought them 20 years ago, and during that time we paid the purchase price again in repairs, but I loved the look.  Yes, they were the most poorly engineered and built appliances we ever owned.  It was a battle keeping the lower housing from rusting out - a battle we eventually lost.  And they made noises, according to she who must be obeyed.  Noises I did not hear.  Let me tell you about MoSup's hearing.

Last week she was sitting in the sun room and heard munching.  That would be insects munching on leaves.  On a tree in our neighbors yard.  She told him; he inspected,  and lo!  Caterpillars.  She heard bugs eating. Anyway ... .

The real reason I fought replacing them was the $$.  It was going to cost us around $15,000 for Sub Zeros.  NFW.  We both agreed on that.  What we bought then, finally, were Electrolux units that she discovered. Did you know Electrolux made refrigerators?  We didn't. The sale price from a local,  family owned appliance store was approx.  $2700.  For the pair.  Installed.  With removal of the Sub Zero carci. 

Once installed I did some bitching and moaning about space, etc., but it was what it was - a done deal.  Now, six months later, an evaluation.
DEAL OF THE CENTURY
Although the footprint for both units is 11 inches narrower than the Zero's, the freezer has the same storage capacity, thanks to very clever compartmenting.  And it has an ice maker that works (the Sub Zero's broke, and the replacement was $420, so we did this). The refrigerator, if it has less space it's not noticeable, again thanks to very clever use of space.  When I'm happy with something, I pass it on, FWIW.  So far these units are FIVE STARS. I bet MoSup is happy I talked her into them.


9 comments:

BobG said...

"She heard bugs eating."

Actually, that is how I can tell if I have tomato worms; the big green bastards chew so loud you can hear them several feet away.

BlogDog said...

Bob, I usually can't hear the little SOBs but since I grow damaders in EarthBoxen on my deck, I can see the frass on the decking and know the blasted eating, pooping machines are on my plants.
And I enjoy seeing a hornworm with a forest of braconid wasp eggs growing out of its back. I let those live as long as they provide sustenance for the wasp larvae.

Anonymous said...

YAY! for you!!!

And, now, YAY! for me! Since I've been looking for some kind of fridge that I don't haaaate to replace the monstrosity side-by-side we "use" now.

*smooch*
e~C

Juice said...

Nice touch! Congrats on all the space that thing offers inside.
As for the ice maker, we finally bought an EdgeStar ice maker ($174) for the RV. It's a life saver, er, ice saver.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

After 6 years our "Windchaser" is still doing the job too. I see that it's not being manufactured anymore though.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Thanks e-C, I always like smooches.

Anonymous said...

Hope you have better luck with Electrolux side-by-side than I did. I did not research before buying as they came with a new built home. A real "Builder Special." In first year, 8 repair visits. Replaced either thermostat or compressor each time. More on fridge than freezer, but too many. The never frost always had about 6" ice build up on back wall. Did some homework and found these were two old 30" stand-alone Frigidaire models with custom trim put together as an Electrolux "Icon". Even with all the special trim pieces, they crapped out. Don't think they were designed to work so closely to another unit. After 8th service visit, Dealer agreed to take them out for full credit on replacement. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Found a nice frig/freezer combo on Craigslist last month for 140 bucks cash on the table. It's better quality that the kitchen frig, but I'm using it for the garage frig. You know how good a big pitcher of iced sun tea is on a hot day, right there in the garage at arm's length (the garage - where men work, as you know). Well worth the scratch.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

This not a side-by-side refrigerator/freezer, but matching refrigerator and freezer, fwiw, and 2011 year models. Very sturdily built, and so far so good. Knock on wood.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.