Monday, May 30, 2011

This Bud's for you Dad ...

Real Memorial Day 

My dad's buried in the American Cemetery and Memorial, Hamm, Luxembourg.  Bulge.  Mortar round.  Same cemetery where George S. Patton rests. 
 
When my step-dad (Pop) was dying of cancer we talked about old times.  It was only then that he told me the story about my late mom's rift with my paternal grandparents.  I knew there was a problem, but always thought it was because she married a Catholic, or that he  adopted me and sister, giving us his name. I had no reason at all to think that, but it's where my imagination led me.  I don't think I ever had any meaningful conversation with mom about it.  She didn't talk about him.

Pop, who himself was shot during the Bulge,  said  that the War Department later offered mom the opportunity to have dad's remains returned for burial in the U.S.  She declined.  Because she could not bear to rekindle her grief . My grandparents understandably wanted him back home, and were more than a little miffed.  Since I found that out, I've wondered whether I should inquire about whether that can still be done.  Even now.  If my grandparents were still alive, I think I prolly would already have.

Ofttimes it's better to leave fighting men to rest with fallen buddies.  But —   dad was  a replacement, and had only just landed at Normandy and sent to the unit.   I don't think he was there two days.   I've learned that replacements were generally ignored by the old guys, because nobody wanted to befriend someone who would probably be dead in a few days.  So chances are he didn't know a soul in the 137th Inf.  But, this is where it gets confusing. 

I spent my summers with Gram and Gramp West on their Indiana (Lewis)  farm.  One day gramps took me with him to Indianapolis.  He'd hired a truck to haul some livestock for sale.  The driver of the truck was introduced as knowing dad during his short stint overseas.  He was someone who was near enough to him to have seen the mortar round  hit.  He picked up what was left of dad's rifle and took it home, where he later gave it to gramps.  When we got home, gramps showed me the splintered wood stock (it resembled an M-1 carbine) with some twisted metal.  Never saw it again.  We didn't talk about it.  Obviously gramps set up that trip to Indianapolis so I could learn that.  We don't talk much in our family, it seems.

16 comments:

Alear said...

RIP, Private West. A grateful nation thanks you.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I often wonder what he'd think if he returned today. About a lot of things.

Anonymous said...

Rodge

The only time I heard either one of my parents speak of your dad, was when my dad (your uncle Bill) told my brother and me, one day, that your dad was a really, really good guy. It seemed like my dad was reminiscing, but I don't recall or didn't understand why. I must have been six or seven at the time.

Cuzzin Rick

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Yeah, it was like everyone tippy-toed around mom on the subject. I laid-off because I was afraid it would hurt new dad's feelings. He was never sensitive about it, it turns out.

Jim - PRS said...

May he rest in peace.

Anonymous said...

The 35th Div(w/the 137th reg.) moved to Arlon, Belgium, 25–26 December, and took part in the fighting to relieve Bastogne, throwing off the attacks of four German divisions, taking Villers-laBonne-Eau, 10 January, after a 13-day fight and Lutrebois in a 5-day engagement.
Possibly this battle?
RAK

Rodger the Real King of France said...

He was killed Jan 9th, at which time the 137th was engaged here:

The village of Villers-la-Bonne-Eau during the Battle of the Bulge

situation
6600 Villers-la-Bonne-Eau (Bastogne)

Contact
Description

Occupied since 19 December by German paratroopers, the village came under fire from American artillery. The Germans and the Americans both wanted to capture the village to take control of the important Arlon-Bastogne highway. For days they clashed in heavy fighting. Under pressure from the 35th US Infantry Division and the 4th US Armored Division of Patton’s 3rd Army, the Germans withdrew and the village was finally liberated on 10 January ’45. (text source by Guy Blockmans/OPT)

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Wow, RAK, I just did a Google Earth on Villers-laBonne-Eau (Rollover Headstone). How eerie to know you're looking at the the spot your dad died. I've looked for 137th INF activity before, but there was nothing online.

Juice said...

An appropriate personal touch for Memorial Day, Rodger. Thanks so much for sharing, and may God Bless all our troops past, present, future.

Anonymous said...

I was struck by how much your "Pops" resembled my father, who was from Indiana and turned wrenches on Navy aircraft on Henderson Field, amongst other lovely places. God Bless all who went to see the elephant, and their families.

Anonymous said...

Rodger, that's an incredible story. This is the day that we celebrate the best of America.

Casca

dande said...

My dad died in 1987. He was born in Belgium, emigrated to Canada when he was 7 years old, joined the RCAF in 1936 so he could fly, flew a Spitfire as a Squadron Leader (Major) during the Battle of Britain, went on to become a Group Captain (Colonel) by D-Day and an Air Commodore (Brigadier-Ganeral) by VE Day. After the war, Dad moved to Detroit, Michigan, started an industrial roofing business which employed over 400 people, raised a family, served on the local school board, retired, and died. Over 300 men who served with him attended dad's funeral in Florida. They came from all over the world. The "greatest generation" knew the meaning of love and honor. I will forever be grateful for those heroes arriving in our time of need. Sadly, in the intervening years, I have attended too many of their funerals.

Anonymous said...

You folks are lucky you at least heard something. My Dad was in Army and served mainly in the Philipines.

The only thing we ever found out about his service time was from his sister and Aunt Mary told us he had terrible nightmares when he came home and he would awaken in terror screaming.

I asked Dad point blank at least a dozen times about what happened and he always sidestepped or hemmed and hawed - would never say a thing.

I hope the knowledge you have of your relatives service can give you some comfort and peace.

Bolivar

Anonymous said...

Bolivar, if He served in the Phillipines then he went through some real hell. I am thankful for those men. We all owe a debt of gratitude to them that we can never repay, Pvt West and to Pops Bolivar alike.

thoR~

pdwalker said...

Jesus.

What a story. And kudos for your step father and your grandfather.

Thank you for sharing that Rodger.

Firehand said...

One of my great-uncles(literally, I think) was an infantryman, served from somewhere in France till the end. NEVER talked about it; it wasn't until his funeral that the local paper dug up the two Bronze Stars and other stuff.

Other great-uncle was a diver in the Navy, wound up on a disability pension from injuries suffered in the Pacific. I only heard him speak of it once, talking about the bodies floating in the water and on the beaches at Tarawa.

God only knows what all those two saw and did.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.