Saturday, June 04, 2011

Attacked by Mugwumps and Asshats

That Stupid Palin, Getting Her History Right 
  I guess there’s a new kerfuffle related to Sarah Palin.  This video was linked at NRO “without comment” by Andrew Stiles.  It’s more evidence that she’s some kind of historical illiterate, or something, as she supposedly claims that Paul Revere rode to warn the Brits.

When you're the person most feared by the Democrat Party— well, you know.  But still, the raw hubris of these clowns, in light of the volume of malapropisms, and stuttered nincompoopery delivered by Frick & Frack, envelops this latest criticism of Palin like a tub  of Jello.

 Jumping at the opportunity to solder their image of Sarah as an idiot, Progressives—  and GOP apparatchiks, it must be said, take her to task for saying "Paul Revere rode to warn th British."  Even if she did say that,  it would be handled as a  tongue-slip by anyone else.  But, well here,  this guy says what I think.

Admittedly Palin’s wording is incredibly garbled and she did not give a very articulate response.  Here’s the thing: her comments are completely accurate.  Here’s a letter written by Paul Revere himself:

“I observed a Wood at a Small distance, & made for that. When I got there, out Started Six officers, on Horse back,and ordered me to dismount;-one of them, who appeared to have the command, examined me, where I came from,& what my Name Was? I told him. it was Revere, he asked if it was Paul? I told him yes He asked me if I was an express? I answered in the afirmative. He demanded what time I left Boston? I told him; and added, that their troops had catched aground in passing the River, and that There would be five hundred Americans there in a short time, for I had alarmed the Country all the way up. He imediately rode towards those who stoppd us, when all five of them came down upon a full gallop; one of them, whom I afterwards found to be Major Mitchel, of the 5th Regiment, Clapped his pistol to my head, called me by name, & told me he was going to ask me some questions, & if I did not give him true answers, he would blow my brains out. He then asked me similar questions to those above. He then orderd me to mount my Horse, after searching me for arms.”

Again, though spoken in mangled English, Palin’s comments are pretty much right on the money.  Revere was in fact warning the British, but more as a way of bragging.

You can even forget all that, if you like. Listen to her comment.  Do you think Gov. Palin thinks Paul Revere was on the way to warn the British Army of  a trap?  Puh-leeeeze.   But hey, asking these people to pass an opportunity to tar her — with being as foggy about American history as Chief  Teleprompter, or as generally stupid as Joe Biden— is like asking a baby not to poop its diaper.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which one of the 57 states did Revere ride in? I forget.

H the Comet

Rodger the Real King of France said...

eggs-actly

18Echo said...

The reality is that they were all British subjects at that point, and most people thought of themselves that way.

Revere most likely said "The Regulars are coming" Saying "The British are coming" would have made as much sense as yelling "The Americans are coming" when the national guard shows up..

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Uh .. I'm not buying that one

Chuck Martel said...

18E is most likely correct.

drew458 said...

'regulars'? I always thought it was 'redcoats'. But whatever term he used would have meant the uniformed military.

18Echo said...

From the deposition of William Munroe (of lexington)

"About midnight, Col. Paul Revere rode up and requested admittance. I told him the family had just retired, and had requested, that they might not be disturbed by any noise about the house. “Noise!” said he, “you’ll have noise enough before long. The regulars are coming out.” We then permitted him to pass."

collected in the book by Elias Phinney "The History of the Battle of Lexington"

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Okay, you win that round Dudley Do-Right, but I have your beloved Nell in my cellar!

DougM said...

18Echo is correct (the British regulars vs the British-colonial militia),
buuuut I don't think that was what she was gettin' at.
Hey, if you talk long enough, eventually you're gonna pull a "Biden."

pdwalker said...

The wonderful thing about liberalism is knowing you can never be wrong, ever.

If the facts don't fit the fiction, change the facts!

Kristophr said...

I think she misspoke.

It happens. Move on. Don't take a page from the left and try to explain it all away by making up crap or weaseling.

Kim said...

Next thing you know, Palin will be speaking in Austrian.

Ace said...

So .... two wrongs make a right??

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.