Friday, June 17, 2011

Lycopene and Wodka

Today's Premium Content
Hunts Sauce
Hunts tomato sauce is included in every list I make of items I need 1000 cases of before settling on my deserted, and uncharted, island in the Pacific.  It's got so when I make spaghetti sauce anymore, the only thing I add to it is garlic, fresh mushrooms, oregano, and a few other spices.  Maybe some red wine if I'm feeling adventurous, but even that is gilding the lily.  We buy the stuff by the case.

Recently I've taken to drinking a cold glass of it, with a squirt of lemon juice  in the morning.  Nothing better for tomorrow morning's timber than several shots of lycopene today. It's mahvelous.  Mo Sup says it tastes like V-8 Juice (spicy).  But here's the pay-off I promised.  How many times do you wake up in the morning and must have a Bloody Mary to calm the demons?  And there's no tomato juice?  Hmmmm?

I've led you to water, the rest is up to you.  You're welcome.

PS - If  the Hunt's Sauce people see this, and wonder why their sales are up - how about a free truck load?

PPS - I say Ta-mah-toe now so people think I attended Ahn-dough-vah.

8 comments:

toadold said...

Would that work for a sugar free Ketchup?

Anonymous said...

My Marinara sauce secrets: Pomi (comes in a box) crushed tomatoes with the Hunts sauce and clam juice (just a few tablespoons). Lightly brown chopped garlic with a little red pepper in olive oil first.

Morning Juice: plain V-8, pinch of crushed horseradish, lime juice, pepper, several dashes of Tabasco and Worcestershire, garlic powder, another dash of Tabasco. Good with sourdough toast.

Maybe someone else might enjoy it also.

Luigi Palmieri

vanderleun said...

You're absolutely right.Hunts is the Swiss Army Knife of sauces.

vanderleun said...

And
Luigi Palmieri's
got it
going on
too.

Anonymous said...

"PPS - I say Ta-mah-toe now so people think I attended Andover."
And that's Ahn-dough-vah.
GrinfilledCelt

Anonymous said...

Pomi is Korean for Spring. Seems to fit in nicely.

Tong

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Well done GrinfilledCelt

Anonymous said...

Uh, I make sauce from crushed tomatoes bought by the #10 can at Costco. I can't imagine that the brand matters. I used to drink V8 until I read the sodium content on the can.

Casca

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.