Monday, June 27, 2011

Manhattan

The Vintage Drink
Anonymoose Quite cool. Some guy found his grandfather's bartender guide from the 1930s, right after the end of Prohibition in 1933, full of vintage drinks, some of which haven't been made in 75 years.

http://thevintagedrink.com/

Vintage Cocktails

Here's the thing.  My Grampa Schultz drank Manhattans.  My dad drank Manhattans.  I drink Manhattans.  We all use(d) Bourbon instead of whiskey; we eschewed the bitters and the cherries; we served over lots of ice and very little vermouth.  That covers just about every variation of the Manhattan I ever came across.  Imagine my surprise then. Between "Manyann Cocktail" and "Marguerite Cocktail, " where "Manhattan" should appear, it does not.  A search for "Manhattan"  returned this:

1 Results for “Manhattan”

Mr. Manhattan Cocktail

Let sugar cube dissolve in a small amount of water. Crush Mint leaves. Combine ingredients, shake well and strain.

That's a Mint Julep—   if you add the not mentioned Bourbon. I think this guy's grandfather was some kind of  Roaring Twenties girly-man pouf.  Sheesh.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or, a very bad bartender. My gold-standard test of bartenders is the Perfect Manhattan up with a twist. I can't tell you how many times a stupid *$#@ has stuck a cherry in it. Dried out lemon rinds chap my ass too.

Casca

Skoonj said...

You might enjoy a French 75, which was devised by US airmen in France during World War One. I last had one 40 years ago.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Ah yes. The lemon twist. Also my concession to living on the edge.

Anonymous said...

My dad loved his Manhatten on the rocks with a twist, he would have 2 with lunch.

jr

B....... said...

I find this very refreshing, and after a few the no-see-ums and mosquitoes quit pestering me.

Ding Dong Cosmo

1 1/2 oz vodka
1 oz Cointreau
1/2 oz Avon Skin So Soft
1/4 oz cranberry juice
orange peel for garnish

Preparation:

Shake all the ingredients with ice in a cocktail shaker. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with an orange peel.

Alear said...

Easy four or five times I've asked for a Gibson, with 4 onions. And somewhere between me, the waitress, and the bartender, communication broke down, and a gimlet comes back. No onions, but usually a lime twist. I'm not one to pay attention to those details in a social situation, but come on? Some citrusy vodka POS when I'm wanting a gin martini? Conversation invariably stops.

Alear said...

I do have to tell this tale on myself. For a year, I tended a very happening college nightclub. A very hot woman ordered a tequila collins. I heard exactly what she said, but when I got around to making it, she ended up with a rum collins. She called me on it, and foolishly I said, "No, that's tequila".

I even knew as I said it that of all the liquors to confuse, tequila is the least likely. Soon enough I agreed that it may have been something else, and replaced it, and she was appreciative.

So bartenders do screw up. Of all problems in one's life, straightening a drink order is close to the easiest to solve.

Anonymous said...

I guess it's time to say it. Anyone who shakes good booze should be taken into the parking lot, forced to kneel, and shot in the head with a small caliber pistol.

Casca

Jonathan P said...

You gave up on us too early, retry your Manhattan search!
Manhattan (Dry)

Manhattan (Sweet)

Manhattan Cocktail (Dry)

Manhattan Cocktail (Sweet)

Cheers!

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.