Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Trading a piece of crap for TOP GEAR?

Hobson's Choice



Hoping they can add series 1-8 and 13-16, love the show but dont like watching the same episodes over and over ...  Sample comment on Net Flix Top Gear page.




The last BBC Top Gear  episode I watched ended with the promise ..  "we'll be back on Boxer Day ..."  They were not.  When I clicked "Next Episode" I was taken to year 2, episode 1 (Year one has never been syndicated for some reason).  I've previously expressed my great delight at being able to watch these reruns, but it's more than that.  After watching 116 episodes, I will say that it's the most entertaining thing I've ever watched.  It's the greatest book I ever read.  It's the (second best) sex I've ever had.  It made me love the UK.  So, I've been stewing over this, trying to find an alternate source but no!  It seems the US has been blocked from watching further episodes. I think I figured out why.

The BBC has been franchising Top Gear (Germany, for one),  and now the US.  I'm betting that as part of the agreement, the BBC agreed to take new episodes of the original off the market.  If I'm correct,  in exchange for a cultural jewel we get Hobson's choice.  What rubbish. 

Have any of you found a way around the embargo?


7 comments:

K-nine said...

I havn't made it all the was through the netflix collection yet, so no help here... But a warning, the Red Queen caught me saying somthing was "rubbish" the other day and I took no end of shite for it. That brittish stuff rubs off on you. Any day I'm expecting to have a craving for boiled horse.

Anonymous said...

I use Expatshield ( http://expatshield.com/ ) to watch on the REAL BBC.

Anonymous said...

I am with K-nine, it does rub off on you. We not only watch Top Gear, but using Netflix, Amazon Streaming, and AppleTV, we get no end of sitcoms, dramas and of course Doctor Who. We haven't gotten to calling the Head the Loo yet though..

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I haven't watched any yet, but my DVR has been recording episodes for three weeks running now. Last nights episode was the Range Rover Evoque being tested in Death Valley.

Casca

Anonymous said...

During an August trip to the Eastern Sierras my daughter excitedly tells me she found Top Gear on the cable TV in the rented condo. The cable there has the BBC channel and I saw an excellent recent Top Gear of a road trip through Africa in a 44 year old 40hp Opel Kadett. Good vacation.

Luigi Palmieri

Nelson said...

Download via BitTorrent.

Alear said...

Nelson nailed it: BitTorrent. You'd have to be OK with being a pirate tho.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.