Friday, October 07, 2011

MSNBC besmirchin' a brother

Herman Cain and some guy




LAWRENCE O’DONNELL, HOST: Question about the Commander-in-Chief role. I misread your book in its references to the Navy, and I thought you served in the Navy. You're now telling me you didn't. Can you explain how you avoided military service during the Vietnam War and during the draft and why you should be Commander-in-Chief if you did successfully avoid military service during the war that came during what would have been your war years, how you, after avoiding the Vietnam War, why should you be Commander-in-Chief?

HERMAN CAIN, REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE: Lawrence, you know, do you stay up night to come up with the wording in these questions or do you have someone writing them for you?


Here's what happened, Lawrence. I was working in a critical area called exterior ballistics. I worked on something called the rocket-assisted projectile for the Department of the Navy. It was my local board in Atlanta, Georgia, that told me, we would rather for you to continue to do that analytical work to help the Navy rather than us drafting you. Secondly, when they had the lottery, I made myself available. The year that they had the lottery for the draft they did not draft me because they didn't get to my number. So I think that's a poor choice of words on your part, to say that I avoided the Vietnam War. I made myself available to my country, and they did not draft me. The rest of the time I was serving my country in a critical role called exterior ballistics analysis. So I am offended with your choice of words in terms of what I was doing during the Vietnam War.

O’DONNELL: I am offended on behalf of all the veterans of the Vietnam War who joined, Mr. Cain. The veterans who did not wait to be drafted like John Kerry [OMFG!] who joined. They didn't sit there and wait to find out what their draft board was going to do. They had the courage to join and to go and fight that war. What prevented you from joining, and what gives you the feeling that after having made that choice you should be the Commander-in-Chief? [full]


Why does any regular American choose to go on MSNBC? 
  1. The networks has statistically speaking no viewers
  2. The viewers they do have are split evenly between—
  • Acne faced knobs and other Moveon.org types
  • Conservative bloggers and journalists rubbernecking the crash site
Oh, there's this:

*****Update: O'Donnell was born November 7, 1951, turning eighteen and becoming eligible for service in Vietnam in 1969. As you might imagine, he never enlisted.

Despite being given a draft lottery number of 72 in 1970, and the military taking numbers up to 125 that year, O'Donnell evaded the draft through a college deferment.

Who is he to point fingers at anyone for their military service, especially someone that worked for the Navy?

*****Update II: I wonder if O'Donnell thinks Vice President Joe Biden is unfit to be Commander-in-Chief given his five deferments.


I have to correct something - " O'Donnell evaded the draft through a college deferment."  No, he avoided the draft using a college deferment, which carries no dishonor whatever.  Bill Clinton on the other hand evaded the draft, a felony crime. On all other counts, O'Donnel is indeed corn encrusted crap. 


13 comments:

Squeak said...

I never served in the military Bu I did bare witness to the aftermath of the Vietnam war. My grandfather who was a gorilla fighter during WW2 in the Philippines made sure that My sister and I saw it, in both the wounded coming home and the boat people that followed. I was very young but the memory's are forever burned into My mind. To know that so many as the song goes, all gave some some gave all. to know that someone was back home working to give are solders a upper hand in combat still made himself available for mill serves speaks a grate deal about him. This O'Donnel on the other hand is a tool of the first order and if there was true justis in this world would bite his tung every time he opened his mouth.

DougM said...

Well, to give him his due, O'Donnell's right when it comes to Obama who didn't serve and isn't qualified to be CinC.

Jim - PRS said...

I would like to rip O'Donnell's arm off and beat Bill Maher to death with it.

Two f**kin' punks.

Anonymous said...

Well, I was in college ROTC from 1968-70. My number, 289, went into the pool in 1970. I also had a seriouly broken leg (required a bone graft and some interesting surgery, in a cast for 18 months).

I would've gone had I been called. As it was I missed it. My Vietnam veteran friends tell me that I didn't miss a thing and that they would've gladly traded places with me

Enlisted in the National Guard in 1976 as a Private/E-1. Went to OCS
and retired 24 years later as a field Artillery Major/O-4.

O'Donnell can bite my skinny white ass. Cain's work on the rocket-assisted cannon projectile gave us cannon-cockers a distructive weapon that allowed us to reach out a touch the bad guys (the RAP round -- rocket-assited projectile). Every artilleryman that I know would gladly buy Mr. Cain as many drinks at the O'Club as he might want.

O'Donnel is a Lib-Cong tool.

Brigadier Major Mike
Former Mech Infantryman and Artilleryman

Jess said...

To put it in bar room language: O'Donnell called Cain a liar. The proper response from Cain would have been a punch to the throat and a few kicks to his kidneys when he went to the floor.

THAT would have been good television.

Anonymous said...

Looks like somebody has scrubbed the draft deferment entry from O'Donnell's Wikipedia entry.

My draft number turned out to be 8. My daddy thought it was the funniest thing in the world that I had already enlisted and was in Viet Nam when the number was drawn; me, not so much.

And I'm sorry, but I'm no fan of the educational deferment thing as an excuse for missing the unpleasantness. That implys that one citizen is somehow better than another because he's smarter or his folks are smarter or something. Plenty of folks whose names are on The Wall or who lost pieces/parts had to go because they weren't smart enough to go to school. A deferment for an essential job like rocket scientist is one thing; one of my uncles had a deferment as a railroad operating engineer during WWII. But a deferment to become a member of the governing elite is something else altogether.

I am sorry but that's just how I've felt about it since seeing some names I knew on a granite slab in Washington.

Sir H the Comet
Graduate, Central Highlands Polytechnic

Anonymous said...

Dammit, wish there was some way to edit remarks. ROTC deferments get a big pass from me as well, in the event that my remarks were misconstrued by Brigadier Major Mike. God bless all cannon cockers.

Sir H

rickn8or said...

O'Donnell wouldn't make a pimple on a Private's ass.

Ten Mile Island said...

Is it time to write a check to Herman?
.

Anonymous said...

@Sir H -- No problem. Thank you for your service. You've earned more gratitude and respect than most anyone I can think of.

Brigadier Major Mike

Anonymous said...

I enlisted in the Army and served from 1968 to 1970, getting out early due to medical matters. Please know that I am not bragging, my Father begged me to go to college, but I was sick of school and wanted to do something adventurous. Mr. Cain honorably served our Country by helping to develop the rockets. Larry O is a pig, a liar, and a word twister. I truely doubt that Larry would have succesfully graduated Basic Training, he would have been one of those crying pussies who washed out and left the service with his tail between his fat legs.

Buzz D

Anonymous said...

Mike, I was no better than an average troop on the best day I had whilst wearing the uniform. That is a fact. But, I served with some genuine heros, and remain proud to say there, right there, were our best and brightest.

Thank you Mike, Buzz, and all else here who carried the flag, and all those who supported them.

Sir H

Cheesy said...

Say what you want, but conscription of any kind has no place in a free country.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.