Saturday, November 19, 2011

Tha Data Farmer on HBO! Brilliant ---

A Great Television Series
Begets
A Great Television Series
INFO MINER

 
As we examine the fabric of the cosmos ever more closely, we may well find far more surprises than anyone ever imagined. Take me, for example. I seem real enough, don't I?

Well, yes. But surprising new clues are emerging that everything, you and I, and even space, itself, may actually be a kind of hologram.

That is: everything we see and experience, everything we call our familiar three-dimensional reality, may be a projection of information that's stored on a thin, distant two-dimensional surface, sort of the way the information for this hologram is stored on this thin piece of plastic. [THE FABRIC OF THE COSMOS: WHAT IS SPACE?]


The PBS series "The Fabric of Space" is the greatest series about space, the cosmos, and Einsteinian stuff I have ever watched.  That show Morgan Freeman does?  I thought that was good, but it's now relegated to  C- mediocrity by comparison. 

I'm speaking not as a physicist or mathematician— I chose my college major on the basis of the fewest number of required math credits (Journalism=0), but as a regular guy who is fascinated by it all.   Longtime habitués know of my interest in the subject.  My heroes are people who can write  this stuff like they're writing a short story. Or people who could build a computer.  They are gods.
 
 Anyway, what makes this series so great is its use of ingenius comparative narrative  and graphics to let us dummies grasp  "space-time," and all the other mind-blowing stuff . 

DAVID KAISER (Massachusetts Institute of Technology): It's mind-blowing that you and I will not agree on measurements of time. Isn't time separate from us, right? Why should my measurement of time depend on how I am moving, or how you're moving? That, that doesn't make any sense.

You can watch all of them here (I've watched the first episode 10 times (I go to bed listening). It won't make sense, but it doesn't make sense to anyone.  It is through scientific rigor, and I don't mean the Algore-AGW crap, that we know it's sound and immutable physical law.  Until God changes things again. .  But Wait!  That's not what this is about.   The begetting of a television series.  This is brilliant. The core concept comes from the opening quote.

  .... everything we see and experience, everything we call our familiar three-dimensional reality, may be a projection of information that's stored on a thin, distant two-dimensional surface, sort of the way the information for this hologram is stored on this thin piece of plastic

No less a brainiac than Stanford's Leonard Susskind says he's inclined to accept the "hologram" theory as real.  It  means that, in this illusionary world we live in, everything that has happened, or will happen,  is already catalogued and stored (it's how Santa Claus KNOWS!) .  So here's my idea for the television series. I'm going to call it THE INFO FARMER.

It's about a guy who finds a way to slice time in a manner that allows him to "mine" the genealogy of every person who ever lived.  DOB, name, parentage, death, etc.  A Mormon's dream.  In the first episode, our hero the Info Farmer (his name is William Boyd (after my favorite cowboy) releases this startling news to the Daily Planet.

 Dwight David Eisenhower died in Nantes, France, on January 19th, 1945!

Would you watch this show (on HBO) to find out what happened? I think you would.  The stuff you can do with this device are endless.  Now ...  I need one of two things to bring this to fruition.
  1. $20 million seed money for development, or
  2. Somebody to read this and fly me out to Hollywood, and buy the series with me as executive producer.
I think you  call this "networking."  Wire me at pecksnif-AT-verizon.net.  Drinks on the house!!




6 comments:

DougM said...

I'll certainly check that out.
In the meantime, here's a physics course in one minute chunks.

Anonymous said...

Sooooo..... we REALLY ARE living in the matrix????


Dien Cai Dau

B....... said...

Amazon has this on DVD and Blu-ray to be released Nov 22. And will stream (hello Roku) for $2.99 an episode. I've been meaning to try streaming from Amazon. This will give me a good reason to start. Thanks Rodge...

Anonymous said...

I first saw the episode on "string theory." It was also excellent. Probably the most interesting science/physics show I have ever seen.

pdwalker said...

Always educational!

Anonymous said...

I think, therefore I yam.
popeye

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.