Sunday, December 25, 2011

Green Crap ...

GREEN CRAP

Old People Just Don't Get the 'Green' Thing
Papa B adds, "Remember: don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off."

Sigh
Emily looks on as repairman Phil replaces the circuit board in her top loading washing machine. 

In the queue at the store, the cashier told an older woman that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment. The woman apologized to him and explained, "We didn't have the green thing back in my day."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment."

He was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an    [continued]





8 comments:

badanov said...

The one thing that is totally constant amongst generations is the amazement at how someone who is no more than 24 years old knows so much more than a person who is 60.

Plus the desire to beat the living f*ck out of the whippersnapper

Anonymous said...

Didnt you just have this comment here the other day?

"The college idealists who fill the ranks of the environmental movement seem willing to do absolutely anything to save the biosphere, except take science courses and learn something about it." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Tim

Anonymous said...

“I'm not young enough to know everything.” - James Matthew Barrie
GrinfilledCelt

Anonymous said...

Screw the environment. I like to burn old tires on the weekend for fun, and dump the old oil from my vehicles in the creek next door to see the pretty colors as it spreads out and suffocates the fish.

DougM said...

I often use the phrase:
"Wellp, ain't nobody was born knowin' this stuff."
It took me twenty dumbass years to learn that.

Alear said...

In the last year I've spent a great deal of time with tradesmen. It impresses me how relaxed they all are, compared to the corporate company I keep.

PS to an 18-year old not interested in college: Don't be a mover, that's damm hard and will break your body. A locksmith is what I'd be, were I that age again. My Uncle and cousins swear by being an electrician. The only way I'd be a painter is if I went back to being a pothead, fulltime. I could be a delivery man. My father wanted to retire and be a hotel clerk, meet the people, give him a reason to shave every day and put on a suit again. What I really want to do is be one of those old guys with hats you see on the golf tournaments.

I-RIGHT-I said...

I'm going to use the huge "recycle" bin the city required us to take as a compost container. That's as green as I get.

Gerry N. said...

I've figured out how to get rid of all the stuff the "Solid Waste Management Engineers" leave on the curb on garbage day without paying dumping fees. Since I have to pay the city for garbage collection or go to jail, I figure they can do some of the work. So, once a month or so, I load all the crap they won't take into the back of my pickup and dump it all on the steps of City Hall. Problem Solved.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.