Monday, January 23, 2012

House of Cards

 


Enemies List

The is a mash of stuff that I hope will result in a salient point about Obama.

Last week I confessed  my addiction to British movies and television productions.  Commenters suggested a number of their own favorites. Of  those I hadn't already seen —
  • She Fell Among Thieves - not instant watch
  • Prime Minister: ... is not available
  • Cadfael  - added to queue
  • Porterhouse Blue is not available to watch instantly
  • Bounder is not available
Something I neglected to mention was that I fear many who view my all time favorite, Top Gear,  watch  on BBC America.  Fie! The BBC, unlike American television, will allow a broadcast to run long.  Thus, in its original form a given program may run 65-75 minutes.  If you watch the series on Netflix (or Amazon), you see it all,  without advertisements.  The same segment on BBC America is first trimmed to 60 minutes, and then at least another 22 minutes for commercials.  What you miss is, in my opinion, the the most endearing stuff, especially the "news."  I'm just saying.

Moving closer to the point now, a series I neglected to mention is  "House of Cards."

After the resignation of Margaret Thatcher ("Nothing lasts forever. Even the longest, the most glittering reign must come to an end someday."]), the governing Conservative Party are about to elect a new leader. Francis Urquhart, Member of Parliament (MP) and Chief Whip, introduces viewers to the contestants, from which the popular and decent Henry ('Hal') Collingridge emerges victorious.

Urquhart is secretly contemptuous ("no background and no bottom") but expects promotion to a senior position in the Cabinet. After the general election, which the party wins by a reduced majority, Urquhart makes his suggestions for a cabinet reshuffle but Collingridge – citing Harold Macmillan's political demise after sacking half his Cabinet – effects no changes at all. Urquhart now aims at ousting Collingridge and is confirmed in his resolve by his wife, Elizabeth. (Wikipedia)



Appearing  in four episodes in 1990 (and rated one of the 100 Best in BBC History), on Netflix you get  11 one-hour-long episodes. It's a deliciously spectacular production about behind the scenes political intrigue and manipulation in GB.  Which brings me to Obama. 

Of a sudden there are cracks beginning to appear.  They were always there, but Big Media and Big Government, acting as Obama's bodyguard of lies, kept them out of the mainstream. Now, stories like the one posted below, where Yahoo calls Obama incompetent.  Where a federal judge agrees to hear a suit filed about his dubious citizenship (ordering him to testify in person!).  Hell, they've even served up an Obama Willie Horton. Lots of little things like that make me believe that a Francis Urquhart is at work.  The question is who, on whose behalf? 


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment." ~F.U.

We could go on endlessly. How about that Mrs. Favisham? Anyways, I'm sure you know House of Cards is a trilogy completed with To Play The King, and The Final Cut.

Your copy of Poterhouse Blue will be in the mail shortly.

Casca

Rodger the Real King of France said...

You sir, are a gentleman.

DougM said...

Absolutely!
(I was too lazy to add it as a comment below. Should'a.)
I understand somebody is making a US version of that series.
Orderin' a crate of popcorn, here, boss.

Casca, there a few variations on that delicious quote.
Here's my favorite.

Anonymous said...

Francis knew how to put a bit of stick about. He's also a central figure in Porterhouse Blue, but not nearly as likeable. When it comes to being odious, few excel Ian Richardson.

Casca

Anonymous said...

Good picks, Rodge. I have the boxed set of Cadfael.
If you liked Connery in The Name of the Rose, you'll eat it up.

Skoonj said...

Rodger, Both Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister are available from Amazon. Complete sets of each series, plus one of both together.

Those are DVDs. If you want VHS, I have seven boxes here, and can send them to you. I don't know that every episode is there, but I think it's substantially there. Since I also have the complete DVD sets, these are surplus to my needs.

Years ago, Tony Blankley and I started to put together a US version, but we didn't get very far.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Skoonj thank you, but I know from past experience that you wouldn't get them back for seven years.

Anonymous said...

I gonna agree with Rush as an enemy.

He's workin' real hard to get Skeezicks reelected.



Bobby Ahr

Skoonj said...

Rush is an enemy? I must have missed that comment. Also, I disagree with it.

Anonymous said...

In response to your question " The question is who, on whose behalf?" this website, http://theulstermanreport.com/, contains some interesting interviews that may answer the question. I don't know how credible the interviewees are. They sound like they know what they are talking about.

There are two people that Ulsterman interviews: Wall Street Insider and White House Insider. There are quite a few interviews. You will have to go to previous pages to find the interviews.

Anonymous said...

Foyle's War - TV.com
Touted as the new Inspector Morse, this ITV detective show stars Michael Kitchen
as a Brit detective during WWII
Honeysuckle Weeks is an inspired choice as Foyle's sidekick, a
clergyman's daughter ... Foyle's War is an exceptional British detective series than incorporates the ...

I liked this series...


Masterpiece Theatre | Foyle's War | Who is Christopher Foyle? -


tomw

Anonymous said...

New Tricks, Last Detective, and Midsomer Murders----all netflix streaming.
jim

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.