Sunday, January 08, 2012

In Search of Shakespeare

Culture

In Search of Shakespeare


 

Res Ipsa Loquitur

Given that most of you are avidly interested in politics, I will assume your love of history since the two are really inexorably entwined.  I watched  In Search of Shakespeare (PBS 2004) last night.  Rather, I watched the first of four one-hour episodes.  As a predicate to understanding the Shake, Michael Wood begins by examining the happenings 16th century England. 

Elizabethan England was, says Wood, a police state, where paid informers no less through then East Germany's Stasi,  snitched on everyone. The records are still accessible, hand written on bolts of parchment. We learn in some great detail how Willy grew up, his schooling ( the school he attended is still in use), the books he read, and how his gammy and gampy were drawn and quartered by the Queen.  Here's the NetFlix (instant watch) link.  I'll watch the rest this coming week, and may or may not update this post.  You're welcome.




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Somehow I feel like I've read this post before.......
Tim

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Not here. Oh shit! Alzheimer's? Don't tell me you can find another?

Ole Phat Stu said...

Just FYI :-

Who translated the King James bible into English?

Go to Psalm 46, count forward 46 words and write down the word you find. Then go to the end of psalm 46, count back 46 words from the end and write down that word, just behind the first one ;-)

BlogDog said...

I've found all of the projects Mr. Wood has put together to be very interesting - the Trojan War, Cabeza de Vaca's journey. Off hand I can't think of the others but they're all good.

molonlabe28 said...

I was and English literature major and I am more fascinated with literature (mostly American) as an art form.

If I had it to do over again, I would have also minored in history (American).

I am glad to see documentatry producers still present materials on the arts.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

If I had it to do over I'd major in history with an English Lit minor. What I didn't know back then was all the employment officer asks is "do you have a college degree?"

Wait, I had it to do over I'd have gone to Parsons College. Shoot, I prolly woulda played in the Mineral Water Bowl.

Anonymous said...

I watched the Shakespeare documentary last year and found it fascinating, especialy the police state stuff. There are three other documentaries I would reccomend to you. 1) The First World War: The Complete Series----amazing footage and info. 2) Commanding Heights---Reaganomics saves the world. 3) China: A Century of Revolution----thank God I wasn't born in China.

Yesterday I watched a 1936 movie streaming on netflix called The President's Mystery. Everything old is new again. The script could have been written by Obummer and his fellow demonrats.
jim

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.