Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Doo Wop

Culture

A quite niggardly (for me) discourse


 

Res Ipsa Loquitur

I'm not making this up.  I'm around 10 years-old, walking down the street with best friends Timmy Hill (aka Mick), Tony Siciliano (Wop), and Joey Schmidt (Kraut).  Had we known any black guys, they'd be Spade.  Anyway. this old geezer guy stops us out of the blue and points - "How do you like my Dago shoes? ............  Wherever I go, Dago Get it?  Dago!"  He did a geezer chuckle  and walked away in a geezer shuffle.  We laughed our collective asses off,  and told that joke to everyone we knew. Even the Wop..  So when I read stuff like this ESPN editor getting fired Sunday for using "chink in the armor," in a headline about Knicks player Jeremy Lin, whose being a Chink was entirely incidental to said usage, I knee-jerk.

 Remember the stink about using "niggardly?" 

I've been through all this before.  It makes not a whit what I call someone.  It's HOW, and under what circumstances that count.  You know what I mean.  If you're a regular Chinese guy, you can be a chink.  If you're a Chinese Red Army guy, you're a MFCS chink bastid.  Pasty-face assholes be damned. 



11 comments:

drew458 said...

Best line ever from the otherwise despicable comedienne Margaret Cho - "I'm not a chink, I'm a gook. Get it right, dammit!!"

In Chinese, all westerners are "foreign devils" or "foreign barbarians" at best. I don't know if they even have a polite term for us in their language.

The whole damn world needs to get some chill pills and swallow the whole bottle. That being said, I'm pretty sure the ESPN guy did it on purpose. So he lost his job over something he really ought to have edited. Can we call that a Chinese take-out?

Skoonj said...

More proof that two Wongs do not make a White.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

KP Skoonj. One Week.

BlogDog said...

Just to amplify on what drew mentioned above: Chinese characters are composed of elements called "radicals." A traditional Chinese way of looking at Waiguizi (foreign devils) was to make a character for their nationality that began with the "dog radical" instead of the "man (human) radical."
At least that one has long been retired as it was too evidently insulting to be maintained.

Anonymous said...

What! No limey friend? You RAAAACIST Bastard!


ahem.

Fred Z said...

"No, no, no, Fawlty, he's not a wog, he's a nigger." oh, for the days.

And I'm a kraut, a squarehead, and I block-press my head every morning to keep the edges straight, and I enjoy racial jokes at my expense. Especially ones from polacks, wops, chinks, slopes, frogs, niggers, kikes, spics, wogs, ukes, poms, honkeys, hunkys, DPs,wetbacks, snowbacks, ragheads and worst of all ...yanks. And yanks includes you southern Americans too, ya yank scumbags. I bet it hurts you dixie trash to be called yanks, eh what?

My adopted younger son is a part black kid and he says he's a nigger and you white guys are no longer even worth calling honkeys, you're just gutless.

Ten Mile Island said...

My mom bought tires from a guy named DiCicco. In his shop was a sign that read "My tires: dago up the hill, dago down the hill, and when they go flat, they go wop, wop, wop."

Or, words to that effect.

Point is?
.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

The point is, Polish Jokes are hilarious.

Buzz D said...

When I came back from the Army, a friend asked me if I wanted to hit the slopes. I told him, been there, done that.

A girl in a bar asked me if I had any Indian blood in me. I told her that I was Italian. She said oh, you're a Wop.

Yes, those were the days my friend.

DougT said...

Normally, I would be disturbed. However, BSPN is notorious for making a big deal out of racist remarks by others - see the week they spent on Imus and 2 days on Kelly Tilghman's innocent Tiger Woods quote - while ignoring the crap that comes from their own people.

Anonymous said...

If you had a Jewish friend, you could have asked "Joo what something to eat?"

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.