Friday, February 17, 2012

Girl fights



Girls can fight
for awhile

 

Res Ipsa Loquitur

Picture brought memories.  When I was six or seven, a girl used to beat the crap out of me on the way home from school.  I don't know why;  there was often no reason for these things where I grew up in Chicago.  Anyway, one day (I want to say her name was Mildred) I was able to fend her off with a good punch.  When you get home from one of these fights you're trembling anyway, from the adrenaline overload - and the shame of losing. That day there was no shame, but exhilaration. 

About two hours later the doorbell rang.  It was Mildred's mother, with Mildred in tow.  Mrs. Mildred laid into my mom  for raising a boy who beat-up on girls.  I remember trying to defend my action, but I had never complained to my mom, or dad, or anybody,  about getting beat-up by a girl, so my protestations sounded hollow.  I forget the punishment.  Not watching the next I Love Lucy was the norm.  While this little soirée was going on - Peggy!  Her name was Peggy, not Mildred, and she wore pigtails - Peggy stuck her tongue out at me.  I wanted to hit her.  Anyway, it's my experience that up to a certain age there exists no physical superiority of one gender over the other.  Girls are very athletic for awhile.

I remember the last physical contact fight I had with a girl.  It wasn't a punching fight, but it was a very angry wrestle.  I was able to pin Pam (the one-year older neighbor girl)  in her from yard.  In doing so the buttons on her shirt popped, displaying way more than nascent breasts that I didn't know she had.  I was transfixed. The world stopped.  In a moment she began to cry, pushed me off  and ran inside.  I was worried the doorbell would ring again, but it didn't. 

 For my part, I developed a crush on Pam, right then.  Moving forward we developed a clumsy, but affectionate relationship that grew as time passed. We moved away before there was so much as a kiss swapped.  One day I got a letter from my friend Tim, with a newspaper clipping.  It was about an inquest.  Pam was watching television with her feet touching both the metal case of the TV,  and an electric floor lamp.  She was electrocuted.  Age 16.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You lost me at the end. Now if you had written that she was sodomized by a Rino on safari...

Casca

Darrell said...

I have never in my life hit a female. Well, if big sisters don't count...

DougM said...

Girls have a very useful martial-arts instinct.
When teachin' 'em concealed-carry, they understand that you don't fight fair.

Anonymous said...

Heavy vibes goin' on here with Pam and you, Rog. What man worth their salt doesn't remember the first female that made you thing maybe girls weren't useless after all.

The inability to find the right way to express yourself, that first glance, and she didn't tell on you that's the kicker. My guess the feelings were mutual.

Had my own Pam. Would not have shrugged if she'd died at 16.

j_c_

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.