Monday, February 13, 2012

The Mittsters


Feelings

 

Res Ipsa Loquitur

When I saw this picture of the Mittester and his bride over the weekend,  I had an immediate and visceral reaction.
  1. Mitt reminded me of someone I'd want to smack when I was in high school.  Captain of the lacrosse team, drove a 'Vette, SGA president, stole my girlfriend.  Okay, woulda been my girlfriend if he wasn't around. Smarmy dude.
  2. His wife looks like Hillary.
There's no accounting visceral reaction of course, and I normally wouldn't mention mine; here; about this;  but for this Yahoo story.

The press has offered basically two explanations for Mitt Romney’s failure to win over conservative voters. The first is ideological: conservatives know that Romney was once a moderate and they don’t consider his swing to the right sincere. The second is personal: whether because of his money, his faith or his hair, average Republican voters just don’t relate to him.

So yeah, I'm simpatico with that assessment.  I don't think we're capable of altering our  moral firmament  after the age of 7 (the age of reason), which is why good, early parenting is so important. So, for instance, a  liar will always be a liar.  I'm not accusing Mitt of that here, just distinguishing.  We can on the other hand change our  politics quite dramatically (see David Horowitz), so I don't have my heels dug in on that score with Mitt.  Maybe he has changed his mind since Romney-care. Don't matter.  I just don't like him.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So then who do you want? Newt doesn't bring a visceral reaction? I like Santorum, and would gladly support him if he made it there, but he has a money problem- he aint got much.


JF

Kristophr said...

I'll, probably end up supporting Santorum as well.

Dammit.

Anonymous said...

Yanno, my first though was "huh - his wife is a blond now? Wonder why?"

DougM said...

Sorry, Rodge,
all I got is "swim team captain" and "Who are you, again?"

Anonymous said...

And you like Newt or Rick??

See a doctor stat.

Anonymous said...

I see a horny Return Missionary in an engagement picture. If we post ours I am sure most of us look silly. Newt and Santorum at the same time of their lives look equally silly, probably Newt looks worse.

http://totallylookslike.icanhascheezburger.com/2012/01/20/newt-gingrich-totally-looks-like-dwight-schrute/

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/joshua_green/santorum_richard.jpg

I still root for Sarah

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.