Thursday, February 02, 2012

Winter Hummingbirds WTF

Hummingbirds spotted.
In Maryland
In January

Rufous Hummingbird.
 

MoSup was at the bird store and the owner told her about a hummingbird feeding in the Annapolis area.  Like now.  "We didn't believe the stories, so we went there, and sure enough there is a (Rufous) hummingbird feeding in Edgewater"  Still, I had to look into this myself.  Truthfully, I was somewhat— alarmed is not the right word, but learning that western hummers are migrating east had me wondering, what do they know?" Here's one explanation.

Borchelt suspects his rufous may stick around longer. “What I think is happening,” he says, “is that birds from the Canadian Rockies go east across the Plains on fall migration (instead of down the eastern side of the Sierra) and find patches of resources where they hang out for the season. For rufous, winter here isn’t that much different from early spring in the Rockies—they’re really hardy little birds.”

“There’s an emerging consensus that ‘vagrant’ hummingbirds [those that winter outside traditional ranges] are some kind of genetic ‘scouts’ programmed to prospect for likely winter habitat,” adds Borchelt. “Mine seems to have hit pay dirt. She may have moved in for the season . . . as long as I keep the feeder unfrozen!”

If for some reason (ahem) the internets and electronic broadcasting should be interrupted, I know that I will find ample entertainment watching our grandchildren (before they get too old) and our birds, of which we have hundreds (birds, not chillens)  that make our yard "home."  Winter hummers would be a real treat.  Now, if we can somehow get bluebirds and orioles ... .


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've had a couple of hummers living here in Boerne Texas all winter. The wife changes the food every three days and they're happy as can be. In the summer we have three feeders out and 20-30 hummers hanging out with us. Just love 'em.

I-RIGHT-I said...

Don't know about Orioles but I had a family of Bluebirds the year I spent in deep East Texas. All they do is play all day long. Attracting the little buggers and getting them to stay is an art form or so I'm told.

Cheesy said...

Salutations, Anon, I also live in Boerne Texas.

TimO said...

We usually get some down here in SE Florida in January as they migrate south. The wife put out feeders, but none this year. Figured they were enjoying the smoother weather...

Gerry N. said...

We had a couple of Rubies stay here this Winter, even through our week of snow. I have two feeders I put out alternating every three or four hours during freezing temps. They're still here today.

Gerry N. In far off, exotick Western WA.

DougM said...

For Bluebirds an' Orioles, you're gonna need season tickets.
Cheep if you just watch 'em in the Spring, though.
(sorry)

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.