Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Old Spice Means Quality Said the Captain ..

                                                                              FOOD

Still Tasty



Res Ipsa Loquitur


I don't think this has the same daily utility as the Cook's Thesaurus, but Still Tasty is worth knowing about.  Now we do, thanks to Cowboy Don.  One of the things I learned is spices have a shelf life, Imagine that.  Turmeric's is 2-3 years.  Mine, then, is 39 years past do.  But wait ...

.To test whether a spice or herb is still potent enough to be effective: Rub or crush a small amount in your hand, then taste and smell it- if the aroma is week and the flavor not obvious, the herb or choice should  be replaced.

Okay, I tested the turmeric.  It has an unpleasant taste and it smells like something.  Good to go!  And what the hell, I can't even pass that test anymore.  Your experience may vary.  Also, to any anal retentive readers who are bothered that my spices are not alphabetized;  bugger off.  I'm a speed reader.




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have some Ann Page spices (A&P) and McCormick spices in tins, they are still good. Not to mention the Bells poultry mix in the cardboard box, a little dab will do ya.

Anonymous said...

I'm wit you. Besides, they're just like prescription meds: if they're old, take more of'em. (Disclaimer - I am NOT a Dr.)
Angus

Anonymous said...

If you haven't used them up in forty-one years, you might want to throw them away on those grounds.

I'm impressed by the drawer. I have one of those counter-sucking carousels.

Casca

DougM said...

What Casca said.
Yeah, I have a carousel in a cupboard. Not sure why, though. It's double-stacked and packed back to the axle; and every once in a while, I have to take it down to find things that fell off the back; and there's not room for everything, especially that tube of pesto sauce.
This is probably not, however, the greatest of life's problems.

Anonymous said...

My theory is: if you leave it in the same jar for 40+ years, they don't have to be alphabetized--you know what jar to look for.
mary

Ralph Gizzip said...

My daughter just found a can of pumpkin pie filling that had an expiration date of December 2000. Not only was it 11 years beyond its' time but it had been packed and moved ... twice!

Alear said...

Very funny comments; First world problem.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.