Friday, April 20, 2012

Gun Explosion

Tails of the Gun

The Gun Explosion


Res Ipsa Loquitur

Res Ipsa Loquitur
I want to make sure the next generation of manufacturing isn’t taking root just in Asia or EuropeI want it taking root in factories in Detroit and Pittsburgh and Cleveland and California.…I want to reward companies that are investing here in the United States and creating jobs all throughout this country.  —That Obama person, February 2012

At least one component of the manufacturing sector is still making stuff in Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, California, and thousands of other places in America, and making more of it than it had in decades.  The firearms industry, reports Greg Beato [The Gun Explosion], is cranking out iron at a record pace. 

His list of probable reasons do not include our increasing fear of government, or the hooliganism it's allowed to fester. Tsk. They do include  (under the unfortunate use of a "feminism" tag)  the increase in women gun owners. Women serving in the military being his big reason.  I'm not so sure that's  primary. My own wife surprised me some years ago with a request for a handgun.  She was driven by a raw instinct  for self-defense.  There are more women at the gun range than ever before, but only a few seem to be vets.  But, military experience is a factor, and for that, and myriad other reasons, we are I believe a lesser people for having chucked the (admittedly less efficient)  universal draft for an all volunteer army.  

7 comments:

Chuck Martel said...

I used to think the universal draft was a great idea. I don't anymore. There is a reason we don't want people like Perez Hilton in the U.S. military.

Anonymous said...

Ruger has so many orders for guns that they've stopped taking orders. The backlog is close to a million. I teach basic pistol skills to new gun owners as a favor to a local gun shop owner and have taught at least 5 women in the last year. One got a gun because of her job, the others all mentioned self defense as the reason. Every time I go to the range, I see numerous women who are very accomplished shooters.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT ! The whole world is getting locked and loaded ! I've noticed that a lot more people have been asking my opinion on what to purchase , people that have never shot a gun . I'm attending a charity clay pigeon shoot tomorrow , and my 10 year old Son is going to shoot in my place , on our team ! (I still have stitches in my nose) I wonder what could be influencing so many people to take up arms ? Must be Bush's fault ;# ( >SMIBSID

Anonymous said...

I wish they were buying rifles instead of handguns.

Casca

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Casca- LOTS of long guns selling. ARS in particular, sell like never before.... I hope folks are stocking up on ammo as well.
As far as demographics- EVERY segment of society is arming up. I speak with such a wide group of Americans every day that are getting their first gun and holster and have been since 2008...
RAK

Anonymous said...

The Marxist Komrade Doofus and his "administration" is gradually turning the Executive branch of Government into the Excrement branch of Government.

Scottiebill

toadold said...

It is not just the AR's that selling out, the AK's are going also. There has also been an increase in the "put together" and build it your self crowd. It has even gotten difficult to get the high dollar Arsenal brand of AK's.
As my FFL guy said when I picked up my layaway, "If possible a person should wait till the 2013 third quarter to buy anything military. It seem's like every time a Democrat runs for President or is a President the gun market goes crazy."

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.