Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Horatio's Drive


Horatio's Drive

Res Ipsa Loquitur

Not that I've even for an instant thought I knew about everything, but I am still surprised by stories of significant achievement in the USA that I knew nothing about.  Horatio Nelson Jackson 's drive across the United States in 1903 is one such example. 

Horatio spent $8,000 of his own money (in 1903 dollars) to win a $50 bet.  Coincidentally,  the Packard car company had been planning just such a trip for ages, and two sponsored Packards left San Francisco not long after Jackson, who was driving a used Winton touring car.  There is then some actual excitement involved, not to mention incredible hardship that would have stopped a lesser man.  A Ken Burns deal.  USA UAS USA!  It's who we were, and will be again after we get rid of Democrats.

I think you can watch it here, and certainly on NetFlix.


Oh, today?  BMW sued by California man over bike-induced erection


3 comments:

K-nine said...

I read about this years ago and was fascinated... Not sure where, but it was before the Internet and try as I might I couldn't get anymore information on it. Looking forward to checking this out.

stoky said...

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/detail.aspx?racerid=296

Anonymous said...

Might I recommend the movie The Great Race as a wonderful way to spend 2.5 hrs.

-bfhogues

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.