Monday, May 21, 2012

Sleep Aids



In search of Zzzzzzzzzzzz

My habit is to go to bed with earphones on, listening to something on NetFlix that will  (1) do me some sleep learning, and,  most importantly, (2)  put me into that sleep. Quickly.  I think I do this to avoid recurring memories of having voted for Hubert Humphrey in 1968, and there was that thing under the bleachers at the prom.  if I give my brain its head.  Anyway, this is not as easy as it sounds.  Here are 5 of the latest

Jack Horner: Building a dinosaur from a chicken Too fascinating.   No way I could keep eyes shut
Rajesh Rao: A Rosetta Stone for the Indus Script Too fascinating.   No way I could keep eyes shut
Sea Monsters: A Prehistoric Adventure Al Gore's hometown covered by seawater?  Too exciting a thought; animated the hell out of my brain.
"Under African Skies" chronicles the making of Paul Simon's solo 1986 album, I thought, what the heck.  I like that album, so I'll just let it lullaby me.  Way way too fascinating, and I spent half the night hopping around under the covers and was exhausted in the morning from lack of sleep.
Note By Note - The Making Of The Steinway Go figure. One of the most  fascinating documentaries I've ever seen.  That's right - "seen." I had too watch.  Exhausted in the morning.

However, last night I found the Rosetta Stone!    HELVETICA.  An 80 minute examination of a type face.  I quickly found myself wanting to slap the people doing the talking, but in a flash I was out cold.  Sleep in a can.


Intended as a sleep aid. I am not responsible for the consequences of watching this at work. 





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

For me it's the Victory in the North Atlantic series. The Brit who narrates knocks me out in two sentences.

Casca

Anonymous said...

Helvetica. That's a bit too EU for me. I mean, that's all you see across the pond. It's like NPR and PBS in the US, it's the same tired overly used and hard to get rid of gov't crap.
righty gomez

Rodger the Real King of France said...

It dominates American illustraion fonts as well

Anonymous said...

Ya mean you don't fall asleep to coast-to-coast radio? But then again, how many alien ufo stories can one person listen to?
righty gomez

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.