Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Treatment and Buck Howard

   At The Cinema                           


Two Movies


Res Ipsa Loquitur

The Great Buck Howard  (2008) drew my attention because ... how could I have missed even hearing about a film starring John Malkovich and Tom Hanks?  But, hell, it could have won 10 Academy Awards, and I wouldn't have known it. As it turns out, Tom appears in the movie, one must assume,  to give a boost to son Colin's first (?) major acting job; he plays the father of Buck's road manager (Colin).  Malkovich plays mentalist Buck Howard, a character loosely based on, we learn in the movie credits,  the Amazing Kreskin.  I watched in bits and starts at first, but then that's how I watch most things.  Last night I was in a mood to pay attention, and was pulled in to it.  In fact, I ended up giving it 4 NetFlix stars (I really like it). It was fun, had a fun ending, and Malkovich was Malkovich.  PG


Res Ipsa Loquitur

I'm always on the lookout for  MoSup-Flicks, aka chick-flicks.  That's so when she says let's watch a movie I'll have stuff lined up.  BTW, I like chick flicks too, much of the time.  The Treatment (2006) was one of them.  The protagonist,  Jake Singer,  is seeing a shrink who, as a deus ex machina, is  constantly  offering advice to Jake.   I see that it's NR, but I would give it a PG (some language).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Orange County, also starred Colin Hanks and it was well done.

Anonymous said...

Don't go to movies, so don't care one-way-or-t'other 'bout no reviews or recommendations.

But I am VERY pleased to see that someone else apreciates the art of Charles Addams as I do.

Keep it up, RKOF!

Anonymous said...

My current passion is a Brit cop show called Dalziel & Pascoe---netflix disc only. How can you not like a fat detective who scratches his balls and drinks Highland Park scotch----my favorite. Turn on the subtitles though.
jim

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I am almost totally enthralled by Brit telly, but the lack of subtitles on ROKU can be a problem. I just got MoSup hooked on Doc Martin, and even she, with her 20/20 hearing, has a problem with cockneyesque banter.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.