Monday, June 25, 2012

Blah Blah Blah

TECHNO CHILLS                                


        News From the Front     



Rotting AF1

I have a computer on order, but other than an acknowledgment from Woot, I have nothing.  No shipping date or tracking number.   I think I made a mistake in taking the $5 shipping option instead of paying for FedEX.  At any rate, I have now crashed (permanently it seems) Windows "Safe Mode," from which I have so happily been operating.  This comes via my tiny Acer  notebook, with it's tiny screen, and it's tiny keypad, and its tiny  clock speed.  But, that's not what I wanted to say.

This is.  Microsoft are the dumbest canker blossoms on Earth.  Have to be,  I've been playing the game.  Trying to sort things by  following their instructions.  But damned near every thing they tell me to run results in

"This Program will not run in safe mode."  

I'm not making that up.  Like the "System Restore Readiness Tool." After much formality,  like  proving I had a valid Windows license and a Green Card, etc., by running a program and sending them the code it generated, I was able to downloaded it.   The readiness tool instructed that I delete all Windows updates from the period I was having trouble.  Okay, that was easy.  Next I was to stop the system from reiinstalling the updates (link to appropriate page provided) by toggeling auto updates to "NO.".  Guess what?  That's right, "You cannot use this function in safe mode.  

Just now, when I rebooted Windows (in safe mode), this message:  "Installing updates, do not turn off the computer."  Shit.  It got to "30% Complete" and hung.  For 20 seconds.  Then -- Blue Screen, and I STG I heard laughter coming from the speakers. !  

I don't expect anyone to read this (except for the Appoles who can  smell the scent of wounded  PC from China.  Go ahead, I can take it, ya bastids.  

This is catharsis.  Plus, I've been doing this blog for 10 years, and my guess is that I have accunmulated 1000 posts on one of my PCs going belly up. That collection would make  a nice coffee table book for Apple enthusiasts. 


I wanted a picture so I borrowd this from Doug because I admired it, and it was free,






12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's even scarier than having your Microsoft based PC program fail in Safe Mode, is that Microsoft founder Bill Gates is instrumental in geo-engineering the weather today, just search it, there's a number of mainstream stories about it, don't ever just take my word for it. Question everything.

So if he can't get his software stable enough for basic computing use, after a lifetime of his oversight and "legacy," then how stable do you think the weather will be?

I WANT MY COUNTRY BACK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le7IV1ltgNE&feature=plcp

rickn8or said...

Roger, with any kind of luck, all your .jpgs, htmls, etc are still sitting on your old drive. Get the new machine cranked up and install the old drive as a slave drive (Yes I said it!) and go exploring.

Fingers crossed here.

Jim - PRS said...

This kind of computer talk scares the dogshit out of me. Fear of the unknown. If this computer ever breaks, I'll probably just put beans in my ears.

Fierce Guppy said...

Jim-PRS,
You'd put beans in your ears? Is that some kind of medicinal thing Americans do to make the pain go away?

I got over the fear of the unknown by putting in a few safeguards. 1) Keep the old PC in good nick. 2) Make a backup of the Windows partition whenever a worthwhile amount of important new data calls for it. 3) Have fallback operating systems. If Windows 7 dies, I still have Windows XP and Linux Fedora on other drives. No sticking beans in ears here, mate. Just frequent cursing.

Celebrate Homogeneity said...

I have questioned Microsoft's competency for years. I have been reading up on their effort in the tablet field. Aside from two separate tablets that are so different that the apps aren't compatible, they are saying they have a product, but not introduction date, and no pricing yet.

If it gets delayed much longer, the iPad will get another refresh, and the next batch of Android tablets will be released before MS can get out of the starting gate.

What hath Balmer wrought?

Rodger the Real King of France said...

But Wait! WINDOWS 8 is coming! USA UAS USA

(By the way, I have everything backed up) Nothing will be lost.

Anonymous said...

RKOF:(By the way, I have everything backed up) Nothing will be lost.

Okaaaaay... what's the problem?
FDISK /MBR
insert DVD and Ctrl-Alt-Del

install....

I probably missed a step here and there. But, I am sure Microsoft in all its wisdom, won't lead you astray. I am assuming{ouch} that you have tried letting it re-install over the existing w/o success...
On my machine, the windows\system directory has over 1100 files... all ending in dll or similar. Do they really need to write a separate DLL to put the dental molding on the top of the welcome screen?
tomw

Anonymous said...

Forgot to add. When I get a new drive, I partition it so the "C" disk is of minimal size. That way when I get a BSOD, I can get back up and running without waiting 1/2 hour for scandisk to check multi-gigs.
Put everything I can on the D: drive. Or E:, F:, G:, so they are manageable to back up, and won't likely all be 'in use' when the lockup happens.
With a fresh HD, you should be able to chop off a bunch on the backside for a second 'volume' if you so desire.
tomw

pdwalker said...

No Boss,

No laughter or derision here. Just the groans from sympathetic pain.

in fact, you have my respects for entering these shark filled waters

DougM said...

Thanks for using that old pic, Rodge. (I giggled constantly as I made it.)
Also noticed that it's so old that the watermark is for SondraK's obsolete website. That was, what, a couple years ago when she was struggling with software issues, too.

Anonymous said...

Oh.... I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I know you and he were old friends.

e~C

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Even e-C has turned on me, now that I'm down and out. *wipes eye moisture*

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.