Monday, June 25, 2012

Kaffee Klatsch





Kaffee Klatsch
Andy Sprenger doesn’t make your average joe.

His coffee is a mix of art and science, with ingredients carefully selected and measured to the gram, water heated to just the right temperature and poured in specific ratios in specific steps. “There are so many variables you have to control,” Sprenger said. “It gets very nerdy to produce that absolutely ultimate cup.”

[...]

Res Ipsa Loquitur
In the world of competitive brewing, it isn’t excessive — it’s essential. And the 39-year-old Centreville resident is one of the best in the world.

Vince Iatesta, owner of Ceremony Coffee, was pleased with the showing. “It’s a great personal accomplishment,” he said. “I’m proud he represents Ceremony.... He’s a master.”

For both the U.S. and the world competitions, Sprenger selected a special Colombian variety of coffee called Geisha from the farm of Cerro Azul. It costs $34 per half-pound and is roasted to order at Ceremony.

Iatesta accompanied Sprenger to Vienna and served as his coach, offering advice as well as helping with practice and preparation. To get some idea of the preciseness involved, both men removed a small amount of chaff from each bean before grinding, just on the off chance it could add a hint of bitterness to the brew.

[FULL Cerermony Coffee roaster is champion brewer]


I feel pretty damned lucky that Maxwell House regular grind is sufficient for my taste.  My kids, on the other hand, have  uber$ espresso machines, and when they stay here are prone to running up to [JFC- I can't remember the name of Starbucks- I Googled] Starbucks, rather than drink my pig slop. Still, I admire people who can do stuff I can't do at all, and do it better than anyone else. Which from the look of things are most of y'all.  Especially the engineers and  computer geeks.





10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like Folger's Black Silk, but I'll take their Gourmet blend as a second choice. But the water has to be good. I don't care what kind of grounds you're using, if the water is bad, the coffee will be bad. I'm truly blessed that our local water is mostly un-messed-with, and makes great coffee.
Pvt-Cdr(SS) MichigammeDave

Randy Rager said...

I used to enjoy coffee from freshly ground beans, nice Kona's and the occasional Blue Mountain when I could afford it.

Then the wife insisted that we replace our coffee machine with one of those damned Keurig abominations.

I've been burying the output of that thing under Bailey's ever since.

Not bad, actually.

rickn8or said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rickn8or said...

The best cup of coffee in my life was the first one I had in the Chief's Mess.

Esteve said...

As a retired navy guy I like my coffee but have never been picky as long as it's strong. We used to get it on carriers in gigantic ten pound tins from who knows where and drank it by the gallons. I did however make a pot for the AirBoss one morning for a safety stand down out of sea water (wrong valve-accident)and it was not so good. He was not impressed.

Anonymous said...

One of these days I'll have to go into a Starbucks to see what its all about. From appearances, it seems as if you can order 10X9X8X7...X2 combinations of this that and the other to get the size, flavor, coatings and what not you desire. That is not coffee.
Maxwell House has been good to me for 50 years. Yuban was nice when I was in its marketing area. Can't find it local. Costco & BJ's columbian beans are pretty good. Tried Jamaica Blue Mtn, but I think it was stale, and I'm not impressed. I've had Kona too.
Coffee in the wardroom was from a 2 foot tall steamer with a cloth 'basket' in the top. Make a gallon or two at a time, and by the time you got near the end, it was paint remover. I suggested a Bunn or equivalent when the steamer died. They got it, and all were pleased. USN coffee in the square tins was actually pretty good coffee when it was not steamed and cooked to death. But this was back in the 70's when you only had to choose the grind, percolator or fine.
Do they still sell percoaltors?
tomw

rickn8or said...

Essteve, I'll bet you knew exactly what his feelings were on the matter. Air Bosses is eloquent.

BlogDog said...

I buy a Tanzanian Peaberry whole bean from Amazon that isn't the cheapest thing going but it reaches a nice point between cost and taste. But then I really like peaberry coffees. I also dropped the $$ on a Technivorm Moccamaster drip machine after Cook's Illustrated raved about it. Good damn masheen and it looks like it'll last forever especially since it drips into a stainless steel thermal carafe. No hot plate to recook the dripped coffee.

Esteve said...

rick8or, AirBoss was very polite and said anyone can make a mistake. You believe me don't you?

Ralph Gizzip said...

Don't drink it at all if'n I can help it. I'm a tea drinker myself.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.