Sunday, June 17, 2012

Pop was right



Cherry 1950 Chevrolet Club Coupe















Res Ipsa Loquitur

I know this one has been around before but it is worth a rerun.

When was the last time you saw a 6 volt battery? You’ll LOVE this one. What got me were the seats… Remember?

The oil filter is the blue can with yellow top. You could stick a roll of toilet paper in there. The air filter is the oil bath type, the bottom portion is filled with oil and when you cleaned it you replaced the oil and clean the sump and mesh wire filter.

1950 Chevrolet Club Coupe, 437 original miles, only three owners. Check out the dealer installed “oil filter”, the rusty carb, and you can even see the spark plugs if they need to be changed.
[more 1950 Chevrolet Club Coupe] - via "Spin Giard"

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Which reminded me ...

There was excitement in our house when dad came home with the family's first NEW car, a 1952 Chevy.  The engine looked identical (in my mind's eye) to that 1950.  Our  model was black, and so stripped down that it lacked an ash tray, and a radio.  Ergo, on trips mom had a beanbag ashtray sitting on the dash, and she bought a battery powered radio that was next to useless in the car. 

About 4 years later dad did allow me to customize it— to this extent.  I "bull-nosed" (removed the hood ornament) and "decked" (removed the Chevy badge from the  trunk lid) .  Finally, I applied a  red pinstripe decal  over the holes.  My friends agreed that these improvement were neat, but to complete the job I'd need Oldsmobile Spinner: hubcaps, and Merc skirts, but no way I could come by those on my own (without lifting them).  Oh, I also installed a suicide knob on the steering wheel, but the old man went bonkers ("why do you think  it's called a suicide knob?!?), and made me remove it. I think I was around 11 at the time.  Later, when I bought my own first car ('50 Ford), I put a suicide knob on it, and almost killed myself the first day.  Took it off.  He was right. About everything.


9 comments:

TimO said...

My Dad always had a 'suicide knob' on all of his pickup trucks. But that was because he was an amputee (he rolled a car in his wild youth and lost his left arm) and the knob helped him spin the wheel when there was no power steering.

Tom Mann said...

My first ride in a car, on the way home from the hospital, was in a '49 Chevy.

Anonymous said...

I have a coffee table book of crash/crime scene photo's (i know , but i couldn't resist) All of the photos were taken during the 40's , and 50's by an official police photographer . Looking through the images gives a strong argument for shoulder style seat belts , because nearly every victim looks like a "pez" dispenser ! ; ) > SMIBSID

Anonymous said...

Roger, Thank you for this post. I was one year old when this car was made and it made me think of my Dad.

Buzz D.

James Hooker, Nipple Whisperer said...

I clicked and I saw. I tried and tried, but, that´s one ugly ass car.

Anonymous said...

When Dad Died in 08, he still had his first car, a '38 Olds, 2 door coupe. Brother got it and I got his Ruger.

thoR~

Anonymous said...

BTW, Happy Father's day!
Tim

Anonymous said...

We refered to them as "necker knobs" and in Ohio they we illegal to use except for amputees.
-Steve_in_CA

Merrily said...

I would frame the speedometer!

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.