Friday, June 22, 2012

The Strategy

TECHNO THRILLS                      


Yeppir, I'm in charge here!

Res Ipsa Loquitur
I Love Fixing Stuff

Since I'm able to operate willy-nilly in safe mode, I know the problem is not hardware, but software.  Drivers not loaded in Safe Mode Network  include audio, so maybe that's where to look first.  When I have everything backed-up properly I'll do a Windows Install.  If that dun't work, I'' do a Fresh Install.  If that don't work I'll Install Windows XP.  Hey, it's why I make the big bucks. 


7 comments:

Jess said...

Isn't ironic that the mode to troubleshoot computer problems requires safety?

Jim - PRS said...

I would be soooooo screwed.

Anonymous said...

Cue Apple Cultists in 3-2-...

DougM said...

It's not a cult,
it's a sect.

pdwalker said...

The secret to a long lasting windows install is twofold

1/ never apply windows updates after you have a stable, working, configuration

2/ never install applications after you have loaded up the apps you want and have a stable, working, configuration

Bonus Points:

- If you want want to upgrade an application, uninstall it first.

- never let your computer get infected with worms, trojans and viruses

- don't use AV software, or "intranet protection" software. They just make your computer slow.

I realize the last two might seem contradictory, but if you can develop the skill to manage it, you'll be fine.

My current record of a stable XP system is over 6 years.

Or, you could get a mac. ;-)

(Actually, mac's can get some benefit from the same advice but the difference is less dramatic)

Anonymous said...

Walker, "Be chary about giving advice. A fool won't listen, and a wise man doesn't need it." ~Franklin

Casca

pdwalker said...

haha
that's ok.

no one appreciates advice more than the person who gives it.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.