Monday, July 30, 2012

Apple's Hard Core

TECHNO THRILLS                              



Apple won't carry an ebook because it mentions Amazon

Res Ipsa Loquitor

Author Holly Lisle has a series of online writing guides that she sells. One volume of this, "How To Think Sideways Lesson 6: How To Discover (Or Create) Your Story’s Market" was rejected by Apple's iBooks store. At first, Apple told Lisle that she wasn't allowed to have "live links" to Amazon in her books. So she removed the links and resubmitted the book, and then Apple rejected it again, telling her that they wouldn't sell her book because it mentioned Amazon, a competitor of its iBooks store. [Full]

LOL.  I spent my life in sales and marketing.  If you were a competitor I hated your guts, made war on you, and excluded you from my Christmas parties.  So. I understand; and it is what  Francis Urquhart would do.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought my wife an iPad for Christmas because it CAN download both Kindle and Nook. Seems Apple is being rather stupid about this.

DougM said...

"it is what Francis Urquhart would do"
You might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.
[pushes Rodge off roof]

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Best last episode ending ever too.

Kristophr said...

Get an android.

LINUX open source OS, and no content restrictions.

Helly said...

Soooo … a rejected author writes a bitter rant demonizing the hyper-successful publisher that rejected her. Boing Boing swallows the story hook, line, and sinker, because failure is PostModernism success.

Let's talk about me. Within hours of Apple releasing Mountain Lion, I had it installing itself while I boiled a pot of pudding. The upgrade made no noticeable difference and the pudding was delicious. That's a perfect ending to this story, because success is still success.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.