Sunday, August 26, 2012

A Canoe Ride




Sniff
Res Ipsa Loquitor

One must be careful not to regress into living one's nostalgia, lest one drift into melancholiness.  But, sometimes things from the past can have a fun, therapeutic (funapeutic) effect.  Like, for some insane reason (ahem) I was recently moved to search-out and buy a bottle of Canoe (After Shave Splash) that I used in my drive-in movie years.  I haven't used any man's cologne for 20 years.  Not since my secretary confided that she hated the smell of some, neglecting the "I don't mean you; I love your's" exclusion.

When the bottle of Canoe arrived from Amazon,  I splashed some on.  And  I was transported to a beach blanket in Ocean City with me mates. I don't like the term aroma therapy here, lets use aroma indulgence.   I think next I'll take myself  further back in time with some Aquavelva , and Old Spice  Or,  a post Canoe English Leather and Musk for Men .  The smell of Ponds Hand Cream might— no.  I don't need to go back to my BoyScout years. 



16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sense Memory

How about some Chanel #5? It is the smell of beautiful women. Shalimar is a close second.

Casca

Juice said...

I remember those scents. A high school boyfriend was English Leather, so I thought it an appropriate young man's cologne for our son to begin with. My dad sometimes wore Aqua Velva but was mostly an Old Spice man.

Let us not forget High Karate, British Sterling, Pierre Cardin. The olfactory holds the wealth of our lives. Thanks for the walk down Memory Lane.

Juice said...

A pleasant Sharon Tate memory. Thanks for that also.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I'm married Casca, and am exposed to wimmin smells daily. It's one of the bennies. And, forgive me Juice, but - are you familar with the stylings of "Lil Wayne ?"

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I meant that for my batman Casca, not the gentlewoman.

Juice said...

Okay, ya got me! What's the lil' wayne reference now??? Is this about that tiny lil' paper cut? ;p

Rodger the Real King of France said...

No, the link to Lil Wayne's poetry that is not for a ladies eyes.

Anonymous said...

I am not familiar with the roundball culture.

Casca

Kev said...

Vitalis! Choice of military-oriented dads who imposed close-cut flat-top haircuts on their boys in the Sixties! (Love ya Pa, miss you lots...)

Rodger the Real King of France said...

well, ribs for dinner Huck!

Juice said...

Just lay down for a minute and "got it". Talk about slow on the uptake. Better late than never Rodger. Hai vs High. oh shit. :))

Anonymous said...

Butch Wax for your drake tail.

JLW III

Anonymous said...

I was expecting something more like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdsmuElafSY

Casca

Anonymous said...

If you look closely, the guy on the upper left is Charles Manson. He never did get a good tan.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I remember that ad! From my...um, from my Father's Playboy collection!

mRed said...

007 cologne. Worked for me, but not the ladies. At 14 I shoulda figgered that out.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.