Monday, August 06, 2012

Going Regimental with Madonna

   At The Cinema                           



Dare to Be Truthful

UPDATED
This Madonna "style retrospective" is of no particular interest to me, but it did serve to remind me of Medusa: Dare to Be Truthful.

When it was making the rounds on Showtime in 1992, I watched it several times without realizing it was a spoof (that's good spoof!). I knew who Madonna was, but paid little attention. In fact, the only time I'd seen her perform was on a Showtime concert.   A stage floor up-shot camera angle caught me by surprise.  For a moment I thought she was panty-less. This was before DVR, so there was no quick review.  I set the VCR to tape the next showing, and sure enough!  Madonna was flashing beaver. So, you can see why I could be taken-in by Julie Brown.

I rank Medusa as one of the top three  five mockumentary films ever made (This Is Spinal Tap, and The Old Negro Space Program, Waiting For Guffman, Best in Show )
  Unlike the other two four (watch-in-full links above), this six-part YouTube presentation is the only one I could find.  I don't have time right now, but later I will watch, for the first time in 20 years.  If I change my mind about its brilliance, I'll let you know.  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved Bruce Willis in the Bruno Mockumentary. It was really good.

thoR~

Anonymous said...

The Rutles can't be beat! Tragical History Tour is brilliant!
Sasquatch

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I tried the Rutles a few times, but nothing sticks out.

Anonymous said...

I am fond of 'A Mighty Wind'. Same folks as Spinal Tap and the music is actually pretty good!
Tim

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Horry Clap! I updated to include Waiting For Guffman and Best in Show. Guffman especially.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.