Tuesday, August 14, 2012

L' Affaire Farewell

   At The Cinema                           





This is one of the damnedest movies I've ever seen.  Based on my liking "Lost in Siberia," NetFlix recommended it.  The cast were all furriners with Russian and French names; it was subtitled.  Fast  paced and absolutely riveting, but that's not why I was gob-smacked. Of a sudden,  amidst all the nyets and ouis,  Ronald Reagan pops up  (played by a very convincing Fred Ward), and there's new meaning.  This, it seems, has  historical underpinnings. Totally unexpected that, which sensation you will now miss because I told you.

L'affaire Farewell (English: The Farewell Affair) is a 2009 French film directed by Christian Carion, starring Guillaume Canet and Emir Kusturica. The film is an espionage thriller loosely based on actions of the high-ranking KGB official, Vladimir Vetrov. It was released in the United States in June 2010, under the title Farewell. (Wikipedia)

How riveting was it?  I meant only to get a sense of whether I wanted to see more at a later date.  It ended at 2:30 AM, and then another hour spent digesting it.  Five Stars from me.  Yawning here.

>

1 comment:

Roger von Oech said...

I watched this earlier in the year and enjoyed it. Worth seeing!

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.