Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Waiter- This Coffee tastes like Obama!

SCIENCE       
Gary Larsen
           
Why does coffee never taste as good as it smells?
For many, the scent of freshly brewed coffee is the first highlight of the day. Now, scientists claim to have solved the mystery of why it never tastes as good as it smells.

Res Ipsa Loquitor

One sense is when you inhale things from the environment into you, and the other is when the air comes out of you up the nasal passage and is breathed out through the nose.”
  
The phenomenon is down to the fact that, although we have sensors on our tongue, eighty per cent of what we think of as taste actually reaches us through smell receptors in our nose.

The receptors, which relay messages to our brain, react to odours differently depending on which direction they are moving in. [Full blah-blah]


My coffee tastes like it smells.  I think.  Nothing I ever questioned  anyway.  So why did I post this article?  That should be obvious. 


10 comments:

leelu said...

I've almost always had that experience with BBQ. Doesn't matter where or what style. Always ever so slightly disappointing.

Very sad.

Anonymous said...

My coffee always tastes as good as it smells. Maybe they're doing it wrong?

firefirefire

DougM said...

'Cause when you actually drink the coffee, you're awake.
Srsly, I attribute it to the unavoidable bitter.
Don't think you can smell bitter. Dunno. I can't, anyway.
I fix the bitter with a dash of salt. Never fails to get rid of it.
It's particularly useful with institutional or diner coffee.

Dunno how they're gonna get the stink out'a the White House, though.

Anonymous said...

Many now recognize five taste groups: sweet, sour, bitter, salty and umami which is a Japanese term for the savory flavor of foods such as soy sauce and mushrooms. I like them all which is why I drink my coffee black without sugar.

As long as it is not burnt in the roasting or brewing, the bitterness of a dark roast makes coffee better.

Freddie Sykes

Jess said...

If they knew the correct way to taste coffee, they'd know your first sip is right after a shot of good bourbon.

When you follow the correct procedure, you coffee tastes exactly like it smells.

Helly said...

A metaphorical excursion, I know, but practically speaking, there is nothing wrong with the bitter/burnt taste of coffee that generous amendments of cream, sugar, cocoa, and liquor can't fix.

As for Barry 40-O, the stink from Trinity United was rising a year before he was even nominated.

Darrell said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQm7YpxgOnA

BlogDog said...

I like my coffee like I like my women: milky and sweet.

You thought I was going to say something else, didn't you?

Anonymous said...

BD, "black and strong"? "in two large cups"?

Anonymous said...

Use Illy -- tastes even better than it smells.

Which never precludes judicious additions of Irish and clouds of whipped cream.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.