Thursday, October 04, 2012

In Passing





        Goodbye Margie
About 15 years ago I found myself alone with my mother-in-law in her Virgina home.  She'd stayed behind to prepare Sunday dinner while everyone else went  gallivanting.  I was watching the Redskin game, and she would wander in from time to time.  I assumed she was just being hospitable— until the Redskins were burned by a long pass play. 

I uttered an oath; she cried out, "That corner back [name] has been the weak link in that defense all year!"  WTF?  I was truly gob-smacked by that bit of arcane analysis by this mother of my wife (who thinks a line backer is a Detroit Lions fan (she's from Michigan). 

"How in God's name did you know that?" I asked.
"I know a lot of things," she responded with a twinkle.

And she did.  We buried her next to her husband Dan yesterday.  She outlived him by 19 years.  She has surely gone straight to Heaven.  No purgatory time at all.  I am most fortunate;  my in-laws were and are some of the best people I've ever known.  I told mother-in-law jokes, but they were bereft of any rancor.  I loved the woman, and her husband.

Looking around the church hall after the funeral I saw her legacy.  Three generations of the most beautiful offspring I've ever seen.  And all of them as sweet and kind as she was.  That's a fine legacy.  R.I.P. Margie.

Res Ipsa Loquitor

20 comments:

Juice said...

That is a beautiful tribute, Rodger. So sorry for your family's loss. God Bless All.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Thanks Juice. She somewhat stopped being her real self a while ago, and desperately wanted to move on. Her funeral was more a celebration of her life than a mourning. The family had plenty of notice.

Anonymous said...

I never knew the woman, but I will add my 2 cents... if ANYONE has a Mother-In-Law who they wish to speak well of, mine hated me, but respected that I was trying to do the best I could to provide for her daughter, and later on, her grand kids.

Missus Gus, I'm trying to be Right by your grand-kids now, too, and from what your grand-son tells me, your Great Grand Baby in about four months!

Thank you for how you raised your daughter. She used that to raise our kids, and out kids to raise theirs! You did good, Ma'am!

Helly said...

Condolences, Rodge.

They say, if you want to see what your fiancée will be like in 20 years ...

Annoying Mike said...

That was beautiful Roger. God bless Margie, and you, and your family.

jodi said...

I never realized what an influence in-laws could have in a persons life until I had my first child. What a blessing for you to have such a legacy. May we all know the joy she is experiencing today. My deepest condolences to you and the family.

Anonymous said...

I loved my mother-in-law. She died much too young, my wife of 38 years is much like her.
-Steve_in_CA

Esteve said...

I work every day with troubled kids on a Christian boys ranch and the common denominator is dysfunctional family. There is probably no greater blessing in life than a good family and they don't come by accident. Thank God for those who do it right.

Tom Mann said...

Condolences to MoSup and yourself.

David said...

My dear wife and I were having a "discussion" about some extended family issues one day which I brought to a sudden halt with the line "Oh yeah? Well I have better in-laws than you do."

When we first married my MIL never really cottoned to me. But from that day on, she and I have gotten along just fine.

I got a couple glasses of wine into her a few years ago and she fessed up that she had overheard our discussion that day...

Chris in NC said...

Beautifully said Rodger. She was obviously one of the great ones. My condolences to you and your family my friend.

Anonymous said...

Prayers for You , and Yours Boss ; ( > SMIBSID

Anonymous said...

Rodger,
I saw your "RIP Margie" a few days ago, and knew you lost somebody, then came your blog silence and I have been holding my breath wondering who.
You obviously did well in choosing her daughter, loving her and her parents, and now writing that sweet, loving tribute to her parents above.
I'm sorry for your loss, and hope you and Mother Superior will find comfort in many good memories of her.
Lt. Col. Gen. Tailgunner dick

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Yeah Dick, good eye. I don't like to talk about stuff like this in real time. Thanks to all of you.

Shayne said...

That was beautiful, Rodger.

Anonymous said...

A loving tribute. God bless her, you, and your family. Rest, in peace.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I havn't said so sooner, I have been on the road. These are hard times and sometimes I envy the Dead. I am sorry for your loss.

thoR~

Jim - PRS said...

Just learned of this. My condolences, Rodger.

Laughing Wolf said...

A wonderful tribute, and thoughts and prayers out to you all.

Anonymous said...

The best of all possible ways to be remembered, when you think about it.

We are diminished.

Sir H the Comet

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.