Thursday, December 27, 2012

Gun Manuals

Tails of the Gun  

Mail Call



I get two or three letters a week along this line:

Rodge:

When I was in boot camp at Parris Island
in 1961, I remember the gunny saying "there's this guy what knows everything there is to know about damned near every rifle, hand or BB gun ever made.  Taught me and every other Gunny in the Corpse (Obama sp LOL) everything we know. Sumbitch is the Real King of France, but he ain't no pussy.

Is that you? Damned if I didn't lose the operating manual for my Thompson Tommy Gun Full Auto (1926), and thought of you.  Can you help me? 

Lee Ermey


Res Ipsa LoquitorDamned straight Lee; my pleasure.  Look here.


Forwarded by Mailman Mauck


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone here will know. What is that cap and ball revolver on Drudge today? It looks British because of the lanyard loop.

jim

Anonymous said...

LeMat revolver. French, I think, fires 8 or 9 rounds of .44 cal from the revolver section through the top barrel, then a shotgun blast through the center barrel. Real fun.

Dodgeman

Anonymous said...

Confederate General Jeb Stuart's LeMat is on display in the Museum of the Confederacy here. A real hand cannon.
Lt. Col. Gen. Tailgunner dick

Skoonj said...

It looked like a Josey Wales gun.

Anonymous said...

Josey Wales (in the movie) carried Walker Colt revolvers, so far as I can remember. Pale Rider movie, Clint carried Remington New Army. Clint always carried interesting pieces, including some original cap-n-ball pistols that had been converted to cartridge. A lot of this are available as fully functional replicas.

Dodgeman

Anonymous said...

More on the LeMat. "..served as a nasty surprise to bad guys counting shots."
http://www.johnnyringo.net/lemat.htm
olds-mo-william

Anonymous said...

Thanks Dodgeman. It would have taken me a long time to find that, but I would have kept looking.If you or anyone else here reads sci-fi, I recommend a series the first book of which is called "Off Armageddon Reef". It's about a planet of humans with very primitive technology---ox carts, oar powered warships, swords, etc. and an android secretly introducing technology to bring them along in weaponry, ships, and industry. Facinating to see how one step leads to another. Guns especialy.
Thanks again.
jim

Anonymous said...

@ Jim:
I am on the third book in the series, fascinating read. Even for those who are not fond of sci-fi, it is a good read.

Grumpy old squid

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.