Saturday, March 09, 2013

Five Movies

   At The Cinema                           


FIVE


Here's five videos I watched last week that I thought had merit.

Sleepwalk With Me

I've heard Birbiglia's name before, but didn't know much about him. Now I do, and now I'm a fan. In this autobiographical tale based on director Mike Birbiglia's successful one-man show, an up-and-coming stand-up comedian deals with career and relationship issues while trying to ignore his outrageous sleepwalking habit. 

This is a smartly done comedy about Mike trying to get established as a comedian, and hold on to his longtime girlfriend who wants to walk down the aisle.  

PS - He actually suffers from the most dangerous kind of sleepwalking.
PPS - his girlfriend is in every way the most perfect woman anyone could want.  (Actually, she is MoSup).

John Pinette: I'm Starvin'

MoSup was laughing so hard she had tears in her eyes.  I knew she would.


Gangster No. 1

This story follows the violent rise and fall of the title character, an unnamed East End London thug (played by Paul Bettany and, at a later age, Malcolm McDowell) who gets hired by high-profile gangster Freddie Mays (David Thewlis). The eager young gun -- an irredeemable, inhumane psychopath! obsessed with power -- eventually replaces his boss as top gangster by way of lies, manipulation and murder. 

 This is the complete film

The Long Good Friday

Forget that this was made in 1980 - it's another Brit gangster film starring Bob Hoskins (Roger Rabbit( and Helen Mirren. 

Bob Hoskins made his mark with a vivid portrayal of a London mob boss sweating the big deal designed to make him rich and legit. Suddenly, everything goes wrong when a series of bombs literally destroy his world. He escapes unharmed, but now faces the knowledge that someone wants him dead soon. A tough crime saga, The Long Good Friday paints a bleak portrait of a man caught up in forces beyond his control.

This is the complete film

Capote

When he was alive I looked at Truman Capote like I would a freak roadside accident. Still, I both read and saw the movie In Cold Blood, and thought both were brilliant (I have never seen Breakfast at Tiffany's).

This film covers the 6 or so years he was writing the book.  Philip Seymour Hoffman nailed Capoteif he didn't win an Academy Award for this portrayal it can only mean he's a Republican.  One fascinating thing, his researcher and long time childhood friend friend "Nellie," was Nelle Harper Lee who had To Kill a Mockingbird published while she was helping Truman with Clod Blood.

PS -  I shared none of Capote's remorse when the trap door opened under Perry's feet, but I can understand how such an attachment can occur.
 PPS - Capote had a running feud with Gore Vidal, a man I despised, so in that I saw Truman Capote as an ally. 
This is the complete 2.09 movie


6 comments:

leelu said...

I've seen the last two, "Good Friday" and "Capote".

Both excellent and worth a viewing. Hoffan was great in Capote. Like, he turned Capote into a sympathetic character for me.

Anonymous said...

How is it even possible that you've never seen Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's? It is an iconic movie. Hell, the cast and director alone make it a classic.

Casca

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Because when I was sparking the girl in my life she was also being sparked by another (didshit mofo), and he took her to see the movie and that's all she could talk about on our nect date so I vowed to get even by not seeing it. And I did.

Anonymous said...

So, what did you win?

Casca

Anonymous said...

John Pinette is a hoot. I love the schtick and I roared when I saw (actually heard from MP3) and then on Netflix.

Bolivar

Anonymous said...

Breakfast at Tiffany's is worth seeing just for Mickey Rooney playing a Japanese guy.

jim

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.