Friday, March 08, 2013

ROKU-Y ROAD AHEAD?

TECHNO THRILLS                      

WATCH WHATEVER WHENEVER
Res Ipsa Loquitor


I am, as you know, a big fan of ROKU (we have 3 in use). This announcement of their newest unit, however, made me wonder—will Roku be in business two years from now?  My son just bought a new "Smart" television that streams stuff the way ROKU, X-BOX and other devices do.  ROKU have bundled together a wide range of product (like Amazon, HULU, etc), but that's only a convenience, not an asset.  Still, there is a definite trend. Cable, satellite companies are losing record numbers of subscribers.  Some of this "cord-cutting" is due to the economy, but others, "cord-frayers," are people who just want to take control of what they watch (which is almost certainly what our current government would also like to do). I could do without Cable TV altogether, but Mo Sup (Mother Superior) NEEDS it. 

All this means nothing of course, since after Baby Kim Twat Sung, or some like-minded terrorist like Obama, hits us with EMP, or an Executive Order, we'll be reading the Sears catalog in the outhouse for entertainment.  And it'll be a damned old Sears catalog at that..


4 comments:

Tom Mann said...

Did you notice that the new Roku remote control has a headphone jack?

Anonymous said...

I just wish the Roku had a simple power on/off switch, so I can have control of my TV back without having to unplug the thing.
Lt. Col. Gen. Tailgunner dick

Skoonj said...

I don't know anything about ROKU, and don't really care. But I did buy a Sony BETAMAX in 1983. It lasted more than 20 years, and gave superior service. Fantastic video, not touched prior to DVD. All you had to do was hit pause, and you saw a clear picture. Couldn't do that with VHS.

When I finally gave up the BETA, I also lost several great videos I recorded from TV. Some have been replaced via DVD, but some are gone forever.

Juice said...

We bought a 55" Samsung Smart TV last year. The TV remote connects to the internet. Very nice.
A few months later they came out with a voice activated remote control. Can not keep up with this stuff and don't try to, but the hubby wanted BIG HD TV.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.