Thursday, April 18, 2013

15 Kitchen Gadgets

                                                                                                                                                                                             Gizmos   
My 15 favorite kitchen tools


Res Ipsa Loquitor



11
Joyce Chen 4 in 1 Microwave Rice Steamer 14.95 Used one for 15 years.  When the first one cracked because it had been dishwashered too many times, I had a devil of a time finding replacement.  Now it's easily found.  Our biggest use is for popcorn,  Spray butter ans popcorn salt for best ever popcorn with few calories and no fat.

2
Food Saver - My second one, and I use it every day.  Lots of models, but get one that allows push button sealing, and get the mason jar lid sucker.  BTW, I use it to seal anything, like potato chip bags, cellophane, etc.

3
Mak'n Bacon Microwave Bacon Cooker    $12.81 Some kid invented this and it's great.  Had this one for 20 years.

4
Cuisinart  Mini- Food Processor 39.95 -
Just bought this replacement after the first one crapped out (5 years).  We liked it ell enough to buy it again,  cuts and chops in two directions.

5
Kitchen strainers - varies Used for everything.

6

 Squeeze Handle Disher Portion Scoops $5.46 ea

I have the 20,40 and 60 sizes.  Perfect and quick portion scoops.

7
Wusthof Come-Apart Kitchen Shears (currently 14.99 sale) Durable and will cut bone.

8
Ekco Skimmer Strainer Scoop $3.50
Seems like I use it every day.

9
OXO Good Grips Potato Ricer      $24.99
Had this for 20 years.  Seems its made in stainless steel now,  Boil potatoes, squish through the ricer and you have mashed potatoes with the skin left behind.

10
Mini strainer - varies
Should have placed this with #5.  Has a million 73 uses.

11
Mini-Sifter This I think was made 1n 1605.  Got it from my late MIL who got it from hers.  Holds about a cup of flour and just shake the handle to sift.  Love it.

12
Carbon steel spatula
Forged by Polish steel worker ca 1860 I think.  How much do I like it?  Maybe 2" of the blade snapped off, and then a corner snapped, and I still use it. 

13

Soehnle Digital Kitchen Scale, Silver $22.22

The best kitchen scale you can buy at any price.  I notice that Alton Brown uses one, and it won American  Test Kitchen's  best scale award.

14
12" x 16" Quilon Parchment Paper Pan Liner 100 / Pack $4.49   /Pa
This is just great.  Check out the price for a roll of parchment at the grocery store.  Sheesh,  and then you have to pull and cut it.  Here you just peel a sheet and you're off and running.  Cheap too.

15
Lost in the shuffle (covered by the ricer) is the Neiko Infrared Laser Thermometer Gun $24.56

I love this thing.  I use it to find leaking windows and doors; check the outside temperature,  and of course how hot skillets, water, oil and food is.  Instantaneous and after three years I'm still in the same battery. 


Now that I've doe this I know what you're asking."But Rodge, what if you had to bug out?  What three would you take with you?"

  • The Soehnle Digital Scale, Potato ricer and  Food saver. But I would cry like a little girl at having lost the others.

7 comments:

Drew458 said...

So I'm guessing you tear the raw food apart with your bare hands?

I've got 3 dozen top quality knives of various shapes and sizes, but I could not get by without my Henckels Pro S Santoku. I've got them in several sizes, but the 7" ones get used constantly. Simply the best full size kitchen knife ever made. For smaller tasks, their 5" serrated tomato knife covers nearly everything else.

Anonymous said...

Hey Rodge, I thinking of rebranding the Infrared Thermo Gun thingy and reselling it as a Global Warming Analyzer with proceeds going to the Barn Army. There could be big sales to public school science departments.
oy vey ole'

iri said...

I've got a nice Bench Made pocket knife with rosewood handle I use to open all my TV dinners.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

You are obviously not a ladies man.

iri said...


You're right about that my friend. These days I'm pretty much my own man. It's not for everybody, that's for sure.



iri said...

Ahhh...let me hasten to add that I don't mean any disrespect to those long lasting married couples. That was what I wanted.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

mine are bigger than yours

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.