Thursday, April 18, 2013

The BBC- Britain's MSNBC?

   At The Cinema                           


MI-5, A Soap Opera-ation
How I should have kept my trap shut


Res Ipsa Loquitor



On March 13th I bragged that my Sennheiser head phones were still working with the original batteries.  On March 14, they were dead. I'm not making that up.

Just a prior to that I called MI-5 "the best television action series ever made."  The next episode looked like it was written by West Wing's staff.  And another after that.  I left both episodes, snap! Yesterday, Episode 46, "Aftermath," made my head explode.

An environmental terror group capture London's flood control system,  and threaten to let an anomalous high tide flood London—unless the government publishes the contents of a secret plan called "Aftermath."  None of the MI-5 lot have ever heard of it, so are left with  in full quandary,  What to give them?

 In the meanwhile, we learn the terrorists are a nice kind-hearted Brit lass  who flew on her own nickel to help Katrina victims in New Orleans. There she met the guy terrorist who lost his girlfriend, or dog, or someone in the raging currents.  "Damn them!  None of this would have happened if only the world  heeded the wonderfulness and sagacity of Al Gore's plea to buy carbon credits!"

We're all bastids!

But Wait!

Suddenly, the MI-5 gang discover that there exists an actual AFTERMATH contingency. plan!  The very thing the PM disavowed knowledge of.  I  reproduced ensuing dialog here, as the Chief reads from it. Sighs, gasps and astonished mumblings excluded.


At this very point I turned it off.  I don't know if I'll try another episode.  Adam, the principle field spook,  has been coming apart at the seams because his wife was killed several episodes before, and I'm frankly tired of him and his whining.  I suspect he'll be the next character killed off.  Good. I may have to watch for that episode.


A thought.  Jeremy Clarkson should read and clear all  BBC programming.  There would be no more of this pap.  And I'm never going to praise anything I like.

Res Ipsa Loquitor


6 comments:

DougM said...

I'm hip, Rodge.
On your recommendation, I watched an episode a while ago, then set the series to record. This last episode was so absurd that I erased it after 15min and canceled the series recording.
Besides, "The Americans" was waitin' to be watched, and there were good ol' KGB spies to be shot.

Anonymous said...

I got fed up with the political correctness. In addition to Americans being the bad guys always wanting to go to war the straw that broke my camel's back was when Jo, just before getting tortured lectures Adam on how torture never solves anything.

I cancelled the series right then.

Skoonj said...

My Sennheiser head phones, bought on your recommendation, are still working fine. A couple of times they seemed to die, but I opened the battery pack and re-seated them, and they are fine. Do you need a new set of rechargeable batteries?

iri said...

Yeah, you should probably stick to what you know, chow, women and revolution. If you have all that going on you're my ideal Renaissance Man.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Bought new Energizer rechargeable PDQ skoonj (mine uses two AAA).

Skoonj said...

Raja, you bought a new PDQ? How much? Let me know if you like it.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.