Sunday, June 02, 2013

Aging racefully




The Heartthrob
Res Ipsa Loquitor


Have you ever been guilty of looking at others your own age and thinking, surely I can’t look that old.

My name is Gladys Charles, and I was sitting in the waiting room for my first appointment with a new dentist. I noticed his DDS diploma on the wall, which bore his full name. Suddenly, I remembered a tall, handsome, dark-haired boy with the same name had been in my high school class some 30-odd years ago. Could he be the same guy that I had a secret crush on, way back then?   Upon seeing him, however, I quickly discarded any such thought. This balding, gray-haired man with the deeply lined face was way too old to have been my classmate. After he examined my teeth, I asked him if he had attended Morgan Park High School.

“Yes, Yes, I did. I’m a Mustang,” he gleamed with pride.
“When did you graduate?”, I asked.
He answered, “In 1975. Why do you ask?”
“You were in my class!”, I exclaimed.
He looked at me closely. Then, that ugly, old, bald,  wrinkle-faced pompous fool asked, “What did you teach???”

  Francois E.

7 comments:

K-nine said...

ouch.

Anonymous said...

Not long before he died, my Dad exclaimed "I can't believe my little boy is on Medicare!"
Neither could I.

Then today, a friend of ours came by with a friend of his. Several times after introductions were made, the new friend addressed me as "Sir".
Later I found out the new friend was 52 years old.
Sigh... I'm older than dirt.
Lt. Col. Gen. Tailgunner dick

pdwalker said...

Hahahaha.

Yeah, it comes with the territory.

It's weird when you are sitting in room, and everyone else is a *lot* younger than you.

Where did the years go?

Esteve said...

While visiting my daughter and grandchildren in Punta Gorda we drove down to the Ft. Myers, Cape Coral area. I love it down there. Where ever I go I'm the youngest one in the place.

Anonymous said...

Try going back to college if you want to feel REALLY old.

Hell, in three years I've been older than all but two of my lecturers, never mind the students.

Kim

Rodger the Real King of France said...

But then , all the girls feel very safe with you.

Skoonj said...

Mel Torme had a great line. He was in Sarasota doing a show. "I'm sure you've heard there are a lot of old people in Sarasota. Well, their parents live in Naples."

Yes, I lived in Naples about 10 years.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.