Thursday, June 13, 2013

Downton Abbey


Should Be To the Manor Born


Res Ipsa Loquitor


Res Ipsa LoquitorI feel so ashamed.  I've gone and got myself hooked on Downton Abbey, an early twentieth century Brit (Masterpiece Theater) soap opera.  Never did  bother with that "Upstairs-Downstairs" thing that was all the rage in the 1970's; something I dismissed as only fitting for women, pussies and shut-ins.  I think it was much like Downton; focused on  the relationship between the landed gentry and their servants. 

I adore Downton Abbey (so far; the smart money says I won't finish it).  It has everything; women to lust after, villains to hate; and nice furniture.

I was—am— someone who always felt more comfortable with the past.  My (and cuzzin ricky's) Granny was from a lower echelon of the English  landed class.  Family owned orchards, and had a nice stone manse. 

Against her family's wishes, she fell in love with a  divinity student graduate, not of her class, and ran off to America with him.  When he was dragged to his death (after siring four daughters likety-split),  by horses spooked by a passing automobile's back-fire, she became a house servant in the South Dakota governor's mansion.  Scrubbed floors.  Later, when my own father was crowned by a Nazi mortar shell, she moved in to care for us while mom worked.

I respect a culture that hangs horse thieves straight away, and where a gentleman would never utter the word "fuck"  in front of a proper lady.  The Great War saw the end of that storybook era in England, but I would have been comfortable in it, as Lord or footman, although I am better suited to Droit du seigneur  than to polishing the silver.


PS   After watching the first season on NetFlix,  I was flummoxed to discover that was all they had.  So, for the first time, I found something useful in Amazon's Prime instant watch video service; they have the full set.  



10 comments:

Jon said...

I think the theme song has some strong voodoo like grip on me much like the theme from Sherlock.

Jon said...

Rog, Ever hear of TVTorrents.com ? Just about every TV show ever made all torrented.

David said...

I think there is some witchcraft or other black magic involved. Downton Abbey would normally be the poster child for TV shows I don't watch. But I watched one episode (on Amazon Instant Video) just to see what all my volleyball players and their parents were talking about. By the time the week ended I had watched all of it.

Anonymous said...

Downton Abbey was great - but it ain't done, yet. It may be due to their attention to detail, historical and stylistic and societal. It rings true - though of course I have no way to actually know.

On the first "Upstairs, Downstairs", the original, we could not get past the first episode and nuked it. The "re-visited" version, where they come back to the same house, in the early pre-WWII period, with entirely different people except the old housekeeper, was good. We watched all those.

"We" meaning my wife and I, just sos you don't get any wrong impressions.

jd

Buffload said...

Jon,how do get an invite to tvtorrents?

Anonymous said...

My advise is to be very very leery of any torrent site where you have to register and login. I can't think of any purpose for that that would be in your interest. There are plenty of good torrent sites that require no such thing.
GrinfilledCelt

Jon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jon said...

Buffload - An existing member has to invite you. Understand that it is a give and take proposition. You don't have to create torrents but you are obligated to share back after you have taken email me at.

"rabidDOTantiDOTincumbiteATGmailDOTcom"

for more info.

Grinny - I understand your fear and paranoia. In this case as a 30 year IT professional I can assure you this legit site and lots safer then many of the "good" torrent sites that require no login.

Anonymous said...

Nice collar, dude. Nice collar.
c.umulus n.imbusi iii

Anonymous said...

Try "project free TV" http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/

Cuzzin' Rick

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.