Wednesday, June 19, 2013

In search of Shakespeare




In Search of Shakespeare




I just finished watching this four-part Michael Wood documentary for the second time.  Utterly fascinating.  And for me puts an end to all conjecture about the true identity of Shakespeare.  It's William who is he.  And this line from Henry VIII was the clincher:

and which gifts -
Saving your mincing - the capacity
Of your soft cheverel conscience would receive,
If you might please to stretch it

.Shakespeare's father was a fine glove maker (and politician, and wheeler dealer)  who tried teaching his son that craft.  The use of cheverel, a pliable leather used in glove making,  is not by itself a clincher, but with the plethora of  historical records about the family,  it rang my bell. 

Even if you're not steeped in Shakespeare's plays (I am not), Wood's insights into  Elizabethan England (comparing it to a police state) is worth it.  Clap Calp Clap! 

And no captions Juice!




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael Wood is a fantastic historian... In Search of the Trojan War, but my favorite, The Conquistadors. He brings Cortez and Cabeza de Vaca to life.

Casca

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Yes, Michael Wood is the John Madden of historical analysts.

Anonymous said...

With my morning cigar, I've taken to reading, out loud, Shakespeare. Right now I'm enjoying Coriolanus.

The beauty of the writing and use of our language is something I can really only get my mind around when I hear it spoken.
MM

iri said...

Let's see what he can do with that small misunderstanding we had between the States a few years ago. I'm always open to another point of view.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.