Thursday, June 06, 2013

The world's best road?

                                                                        Catharsis
 
Tonight's Adventure

Res Ipsa Loquitor
Watch in Full Screen HD

I enjoyed the hell out of this 25 minute HD drive along Switzerland's Gotthard Pass.  Truly, at times I was really there. I did think the driver was a bit of a pussy, but then we didn't  die.  At one point I got so annoyed with a white BMW in front of us—it seemingly  sped up every time we were about to pass— that I was actually hurling invective at him! Just like in real life. For your edification I've provided this appropriate oath to shout at the driver; one that he may understand. 

"Sortez de ma manière tout putain de trou du cul!"

I like that the only audio is the sound of the Ferrari's naturally aspirated V-8,  and throaty exhaust.  Especially in tunnels.  Then I remembered the Swiss fighter video of yore, with the  Ameno-Era soundtrack.  Here it is, all 3:41 of it.  There are a few stretches where it seems to fit right in.  DIY.  You're welcome.



  • PS - An alternative soundtrack is Top Gear's favorite (not) driving song- Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell
  • PPS. Helly will actually pee her pantaloons, and claim that she did not. 




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

the white car is an Audi. you can see the 4 rings.

CF in CO

Anonymous said...

The 360 driver was a pussy. Try this hot lap of the Nurburgring by Hans Stuck in a BMW M3 GTR.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FstXpvGzxZI

Best high speed drive film I've ever seen, because unlike so many movies that disappoint just when things get good and you're getting motion sickness, the camera never leaves the driver's POV in this video, and it has the bonus of an in the car PIP so you can see how busy the driver is.
Loved the flying video!
Lt. Col. Gen. Tailgunner dick

Anonymous said...

I have to thank you Rodge, for turning me on to Top Gear a while back. Absolutely love the show, and wouldn't even know it existed if not for you. Obviously Drivers Heaven is instantly recognizable from the show, and it would be beautiful to see in person, but all I can think is that it would only take one person to eff up on one turn, to ruin the weekend.

Josh

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chuck Martel said...

That was my vicarious thrill for the day. Thanks for posting it.

Jason in SD said...

Awesome. I just learned about the Trollstigen after watching a review of my next car. European driving vacation! Who's with me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-E4qMnO8yc

Anonymous said...

That's my car. Two things.

The driver never ran it up beyond maybe 5,000 rpm. It has an 8,500 rpm redline. The thing becomes a monster and screams like an F-1 racer at the upper range. Agree the driver is babying the car.

It is a scary car to drive. I'm at a certain age and have driven many cars. I took the Spider to Limerock Motor Speedway and got some professional instruction. It can bite and the rear can come around so fast you are in the grass facing the other way. All later F-cars have so much computer control I think you could keep it floored all the time and never break traction.

Anonymous said...

I have to add I appreciate that the driver kept it pretty sedate. It is one thing to drive like mad on a closed speedway, it is foolish and evil to do it on a public road.

Fierce Guppy said...

If it were a Volkswagen I would have appreciated the scenery, but NOT when it's a Ferrari 360 Spider.

Anonymous said...

Now we know why they call it the Gotthard Pass. Did anyone else hear the Dr. Who theme when he went through that long tunnel?
GrinfilledCelt

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.