Thursday, August 15, 2013

Nippy


nip·py  (np)
adj. nip·pi·er, nip·pi·est
1.
Bitingly cold: a nippy fall day.


Res Ipsa Loquitor
It came to me in a flash
 
Sometimes I have revelations about stuff.  Sometimes they're about important things, like how to remove inaccessible brain tumors.  Other times, like just now,  it's stuff that's not that consequential, but is in the interest of word etymology.  The origin and historical development of the word "nippy" wasn't known—until just now.  Now it is.

You're welcome.


11 comments:

bocopro said...

One of my uncles (who got shot 3 separate times while fighting the jungle wars in the Pacific in WWII as a Marine) said once that when you shoot down a Japanese plane and the pilot bails out, there's a nip in the air.

Guy S said...

"Ya gotta nip it in the bud!"

B. Fife

DougM said...

I know it's not etymology, but …
This one time? In English class?
We learned how to parse nip.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

stuff like that drives me bananas

K-nine said...

Bocopro, I always heard it was "Japanese pilot weather"... There's a little nip in the air.

Anonymous said...

I'm waiting for James Hooker to chime in...
olds-mo-william

drew458 said...

When I was 17 I used to love working in the frozen food aisle of the grocery store in summer time. Oh yeah.

iri said...

She's about due for a nip and tuck.

Emil Nytraht said...

WOW!...Gives me a sudden bust of energy!

Helly said...

"It came to me in a flash."

That's a howler. In the frozen food isle. *slaps knee*

Nobody understands the perils of Southern living like you, Rodge. You drive around in triple digit temps with the top down, grab a pint of B&J, and wham!

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Helly, you do always find the Easter Egg.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.