Saturday, September 14, 2013

Bobby Ross Era

 
Res Ipsa Loquitur





This post will generate  limited interest, even more less than normal, but it made my morning,  I found this 30 minute film, made after Bobby Ross's first year as Maryland's football coach in 1986.  Ross, in my opinion, was the best coach Maryland ever had (save maybe for Jim Tatum and Curly Byrd).  Sadly, he left after just four years, a casualty of the Len Bias death fiasco that saw the despicable Chancellor  John Slaughter declare a jihad against the entire sports program.  After Lefty Driesell and AD Dick Dull were fired, Ross read the tea leaves and left for Georgia Tech (where he promptly won a share of the national championship by finishing first in the final Coaches' Poll).  His resignation was the final straw for me.  I dropped my Gold Terrapin Club membership.

Anyway, I seem to be wallowing (a bit too much) in nostalgia lately, but this really made me feel good.  Oh yeah, Ronald Reagan was president, America was on the ascent after years of abuse from Liberal government, and life was good.  If you're a Tar Heel fan, there's some memorable shots of Kenan Memorial Stadium.   You can watch the video here.


3 comments:

iri said...

Just another little reminder of times that were better. I on the other hand just watched the Black thug with a mood disorder casually ride up on his bicycle and shoot an old man for the fun of it.

I think we need that kind of reminder as well. I think I'm going outside now and try and sweat the bile out of my system.

Anonymous said...

Ah, those were the days...
It was 1982. Ross' last year was 1986.
By 1986, Boomer was playing for the Bengals.

Kung Pow

Rodger the Real King of France said...

See- I was right the first time!

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.