Saturday, October 12, 2013

Kate Smith? Yes!






1955






In real time
I (here) ran across a full broadcast of Kate Smith's television show from December 28, 1955.  Kate Smith?  Yup.  My (and cuzzin ricky's) Granny Lyndeaux had run of the television during weekdays, and every afternoon she watched  Liberace (with brother George),  and  then Kate Smith.  She would actually tear up when Kate sang White Cliff's of Dover, which until now my memory thunked was Kate's theme song.  

Granny was a British ex-patriot who used words like shan't and ate with the fork in her left hand. 

Anyway,  it's quite likely that I actually watched this program with her.  All those memories flooding back because of one TV show I would never
watch in a million years  today, nor would any kid,  even if granny wanted too.  Selfish little bastids.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mother passed when I was a child and I was raised by my grandparents for 3 years. Summer of 64 til summer of 67. Every Saturday night we watched Lawrence Welk. My friends all watched Gilligan's Island. I was socially disadvantaged on Monday mornings at school. BUT, later in life it has been a blessing. I was exposed to some great music. Like Johnny Mercer.
Tim

Anonymous said...

Not a British ex-patriot -- a Virginia girl.

Anonymous said...

Real music, played on real instruments, and a singer with a real voice.

It's wonderful.

Thanks for posting this.

- Celebrate Homogeneity

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.