Wednesday, November 13, 2013

RED Dems





Remember Commie Red?


Yesterday I was listening to Tom Marr on WCBM when a caller brought up "NBC" taking the traditional Republican Blue and Democrat Red election map colors and flipping them.  His explanation was that "Democrats=Red" was just too unfortunate an association for media to swallow.  Tom Marr poo-poo'd the idea,  stating that Dems had always been blue.  Surprised me, because Marr has been around a long time.  Marr was wrong.

What the caller missed however was that the flip was coordinated (there was no Fox News) on all  networks, CNN included.  This happened sometime  around  Bush41—Clinton.  I could find out by watching election videos, but I can't be bothered. What further surprised me was that it went unmentioned, in my experience, until yesterday. Hmmm. I think what we have here is a probable first palpable example  of the Democrat Media Complex in action. 

Of course I can't be sure that the reason for the switch was the "Commie Red" v. "True Blue" association, but it was something.  And it was effected simultaneously across the television news spectrum.  Anyway, not two hours later I serendipitously happened across this video.

PS- I have a gnawing feeling that I first wrte about this on Free Republic ca1997, so I will guess it was Clinton's doing. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had always thought up until Bush-Gore the incumbent party was always blue and the challenging party was always red, but after the months of media coverage of the Bush-Gore recount, they left republican states red and the dem states blue.

MikeC - the other

Anonymous said...

MikeC is absolutely correct.

Check out Reagan's 1984 win:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaUs0kbX-O4

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Had nought to with incumbancy

Snackeater said...

You're right Rodger--seems to me like everyone but ABC used the (R)=blue/(D)=red. And I think it starting changing with Bush 41 but I can't remember for sure. Dems will always be red in my mind.

Anonymous said...

A vague dinging in the back of my mind tells me that I once read about this being associated with [credited to/blamed on] Tim Russert...

Conveniently? As a diversion? That clarity I have not.

e~C

Rodger the Real King of France said...

The default then is to believe the worst

iri said...

Or it could be what they do all the time, blame us for what they do, call us what they are and exclaim from the rooftops that we are exactly like they pretend not to be.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.