Friday, February 21, 2014

Pad Thai sauce





 PAD THAI SAUCE:
1/3 cup good-tasting chicken stock
3 Tbsp. rice vinegar OR white vinegar
1 Tbsp. lime juice
3-4 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. fish sauce
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp. white pepper



We had a taste for Tad Thai last night but didn't have any of the delicious bottled sauce we normally use.  So, I used this recipe, and it was outstanding.  The tastes were bright compared to the bottle, let alone the powdered stuff, so this is on our culinary map.  But that's not what I wanted to tell you.  

This Pad Thai sauce is so freaking good that, I swear, I could drink it out of a glass.  In fact, I took several TBSP of the stuff,  and only stopped because I didn't want to make more for dinner.  If I was a bachelor I'd have just had the sauce and shrimp for dinner.  I think it will make an excellent dipping sauce for chinese dumplings too.  Also. I stock candied ginger because it will keep forever, grates well, and has a great freash taste.


12 comments:

iri said...

Can that "good tasting" chicken stock come out of a can?

Anonymous said...

Imagine growing up Thai, eating food with fish sauce every day of your life, to the point that food without it has no taste. You move to America, eat some bad fish that nearly kills you and you acquire fish allergy (it is actually called "Acquired Fish Allergy" -- google it). Henceforth even small amounts of fish, including fish sauce, makes you ill, and causes an immense eczema-like rash all over your body.

Anonymous said...

So where does the candied ginger come in?

iri said...

"Henceforth even small amounts of fish"

I'd say they are S.O.L. unless they discover the good old American cheeseburger.

Google indicates it wouldn't have anything to do with eating bad American fish, or any kind of fish. Shit happens; mostly to people who consume Red Chinese shrimp bred in sewer ponds.

Juice said...

What did you serve it on/with?

MAX Redline said...

It's not authentic. Not when you're using cayenne pepper flakes. No, for the real goodness, you need the real Thai pepper (easy to grow).

Rodger the Real King of France said...

candied ginger

Juice - the sauce was part of the noted recipe - rice noodles

Anonymous said...

I can attest that the Thai peppers are easy to grow, I have several of them at the south side of my house.
I grew them from seeds. My wife loves them but they are way too hot for me. Our Mexican yard man tried some and said they were way too hot to be any good.
He rinsed his mouth with water, which only makes the experience worse. I laughed, but it was because I'd already learned that the hard way myself.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I wasn't really concerned about authenticity, although I imagine finding THE authentic Pad Thai recipe would be as hard as finding THE authentic pizza ..... And this was very damned good indeed.

I'm going to put that sauce in MoSup's oatmeal tomorrow; will let you know,

drew458 said...

I use a spoonful of tamarind sauce in mine instead of the vinegar. A bit more authentic and it adds a bit of body. You can get fresh Thai green chilis in a small can at most asian grocers. Dried Indian red Sanaam peppers or Chinese Tsien Tsien red peppers are a close match, and both are like $3 for a huge bag.

pdwalker said...

Do any of you stop and think how miraculous this all is?

I just had one of those moments.

iri said...

It is miraculous no doubt. It used to be that bullshitting over the garden fence with the neighbor only got you a shitty recipe for a different twist on the grilled cheeseburger or at best a cold bottle of beer and the latest on the single lady three doors down. Now we have THIS! I like it but I still don't know what the hell a "good tasting chicken stock" really means. Please tell me it comes out of can.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.