Sunday, March 16, 2014

Fitbit




TECHNO CHILLS                               







Two  weeks ago my dentist waxed on about her Fit Bit, and how much it had changed her lifestyle.   It's one of those black wrist bands everybody seemingly wears now.  Never paid much attention to them; figured they were just another  "pink  ribbon" statement of some kind.


"Last night I got home, dead tired.  But then Cheryl (a friend) taunted me about my measly 6899 steps,  so I went out a ran until I hit 10000!"

When I told MoSup about it she volunteered that son Greeper (who I think has a UP 24 Jawbone), told her that I would like it since it would appeal to my competitive nature.  That did it.  I went  to AMAZON and bought two Fitbit Flex bands. They sell for about the same thing everywhere ($98.47 ), but no tax or shipping,  what the hell. .  

Setting it up was relatively easy.  Until.  When I tried to add MoSup onto my computer it got confused (or at least confused me) by seemingly transferring my account to her.  I still have no idea.  Finally,  I just went upstairs and installed on her computer.  Then I had to delete my account and reinstall (losing two days of data).   I created a group with just two people, so she could see and applaud me, and I could see and taunt her (I will never ever let her beat me!).

There was one more surprise.  My dentist-ette told how she could track her progress on her iPhone while running.  I don't use a cell phone at all;  MoSup's phone is not an uppity one, so I didn't expect it to work for us.  But, I do have an iPad (gen 1), so I did expect it to integrate; but oh-no.  I need a gen III iPad for that.  I finally found what I'll call a "sponsor site" to log into with (MoSup had Facebook; I used Google).  There are still things I don't understand.  For instance, it seems that MoSup's data is updated when she passes within 20 feet of  my dongle, which would infer that you can have two devices installed on one computer?  I will guess that some of you are expert Fitbitters, and can answer questions.

Bottom line, and assuming that the NSA isn't using these devices to get into my house (I am very Mozzy these days), I heartily recommend it.  If you're a geezer, you have plenty of time to waste, and this gives you the satisfaction of thinking that you're doing something useful, as opposed to the hollowness of searching Google for every woman celebrity
"nude."  If you're young, it will by-god make you pay attention to how active you really are, and that can't help but make you want to log more exercise.  By the way, there is no requirement to log meals, just the opportunity. 
Sample
 Logging food is easy. The look-up database is extensive, and you can modify anything.  I didn't do this for the first few days, but since I know myself, I knew that knowing what I was putting in my mouth would automatically make me "choose" to modify.  For instance, yesterday my sodium level was 5600.  Look where 1/3 of that came from—our salad! 

And this



1 quart23360008.9


I used almost ½ of my calorie allowance on a few adult beverages. HFS.





10 comments:

Tom Mann said...

I map bike rides with "Map My Ride," which provides a gps map of where I've ridden. Free app on smartphones which uplink to free website. They also have a "Map My Run" and "Map My Walk." It also tracks speed, calories burned, measures distances, and climbs. I think it has a food function as well.

Anonymous said...

MMy wife wears one at work and gets around 8-10k each day at a childcare center. She is the manager so she walks and subs between rooms all day.

Anonymous said...

"..when she passes within 20 feet of my dongle, which would infer... her heart rate goes up substantially, with maybe side benefits for you, which beats the crap out of her walking in the rain or cold, which has no benefits for you. Dongles are good.
Lt. Col. Gen. Ttailgunner dick

Anonymous said...

Mozzy's right.

e~C

Anonymous said...

"as opposed to the hollowness of searching Google for every woman celebrity 'nude.'"

I'm okay with hollowness.


Kim

iri said...

The CDC recently said all that anti-salt stuff is BS. But where do 750mg of sodium on a tossed salad w/o dressing come from? Huh?

Anonymous said...

The title led me to think that it was something to go between the teeth for intake control.

--mech

Anonymous said...

"..when she passes within 20 feet of my dongle,"

Sweet memories of those High School dances.....

JohnO said...

I use the "MyFitnessPal" app on the Droid and iCrap. If you're anal/retentive like me it will keep you from overindulging just because it's a pain in the ass to enter in all of the food you might want to eat.

Linda Fox said...

I'm a HUGE FitBit fan. I mislaid mine (it's the model that clips onto your clothes - may have fallen off, or been left at a motel). I'm planning to buy another ASAP.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.