Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Hollandaise Tunnel

FOOD                                 








Don't look at me; I'm hideous
My favorite sandwich is peanut butter, mayo and lettuce on white bread for chrissake.  I like to cook, but that doesn't make me a food snob.  When I am cooking gourmet however, especially for a live audience in the other room, and don't have something, I use the Cooks Thesaurus.  If  something's too hard, or the chances of blowing the whole thing (see Hollandaise) are high,  I take the expedient option every time.  That's what this is about.

The bossy nagger and hubby were in D.C. last August for a Justin Bieber concert, and stopped by for breakfast on Sunday (by invitation). When I asked, she said their favorite is Eggs Benedict.  I used Knorr.  She laughed out loud. Said it looked hideous, and tasted even more terrible than hideous. And de-linked me when she got home.  Now, however, she's acting like an adult again; being constructive and all.  


best evar...I'm stunned
http://www.food.com/recipe/easy-hollandaise-sauce-121586

Wow. I just had grilled cheese on white bread, with a slice of deli pickle and topped w/that Hollandaise!  To die for.  Oafish and snobby behavior, forgotten.


12 comments:

Merrill said...

I can't believe I have found another person that loves peanut butter, lettuce and may sandwiches! My family all thinks I'm weird but now I am vindicated! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

HERESY! It must be whisked over a double-boiler until you experience a sharp pain in your upper arm!!

Casca

Kauf Buch said...

WELL! That *does* it, Mr. RKoF!
NO gently punished arugula over your salad today!

R.K. said...

Toss little shredded fresh(!) crab meat in the sauce with a dash of smoked paprika on top. Almost as good as sex and better than self-abuse.

Anonymous said...

When I was a younger man I worked at the Capitol Hilton , just up the hill from the White House . Part of my duty was to whip up the "Hollandaise Sauce" each morning , and it was painful ! Once I'd poured all of my forearm strength , and sweat into the sauce , I considered it mine , and every time I'd walk by , I'd have to steal a taste ! I'd put that $#!+ on everything ! I actually got to help prepare the "Grid Iron Banquet" for Ronald Reagan , and still have a bottle of champagne , and a pack of smokes with the Presidential Seal, that was presented to me , and the other Chefs by the Secret Service that evening ! ; ) > SMIBSID

Darrell said...

Peanut butter and bacon makes a great sandwich. I like it on rye or lightly toasted wheat/multigrain bread.

DougM said...

I drive 11-mi into town 2-3 times/week to the only restaurant in the area that makes eggs benedict every morning. It's only a mom&pop place, but they do it better'n I do, and they do hash-browns and cornbread, and good coffee, and it's on my table by the time I get my iPod's earbuds sorted.
Me? I make it with mock Hollandaise (sour cream, mayo, prepared mustard, lemon juice, cumin for color) in a simple saucepan. 5-min.
Hey, I'm a bachelor. A lazy one.
Make a damn fine omelet, though.

Anonymous said...

Eggs Bennedict is my all time favorite breakfast. As for sandwhichs, I have two----Liverwurst, sweet pickles and mayo for one and the other is cream cheese, strawberry preserves and bacon---no mayo. My mother's favorite was fried calve's brains and egg with mayo. Never tried it, never will.

jim

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Liverwurst, onion and mayo on rye for me. Also a fav.

Anonymous said...

"bossy nagger"? You saying this is mrs. Obama's recipe?

rickn8or said...

I find it difficult to believe that Mr. and Mrs. Bossy Nagger would attend a Justin Bieber concert, let alone be ungracious.

Anonymous said...

"cream cheese, strawberry preserves and bacon"

Man, I'm going to have to try that on a bagel. Sounds awesome.

Of course Rogers," Liverwurst, onion and mayo on rye" sounds great too.

Let's call those breakfast and lunch.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.