Friday, May 30, 2014

Liberal Icons

a public pantsing
Thomas Lifson

When excited bulletins on cable news let the public know that Maya Angelou had passed away, I bit my tongue and stayed my keyboard.  I generally follow the rule of letting the dead rest in peace for a day or two before writing critically of them. But this fine piece by Daniel J. Flynn in the American Spectator covers many of the points I would have brought up about the late poet/madam/actress/communist/all around phony.

I once spent about 6 hours in close proximity to Ms. Angelou, flying from Atlanta to San Francisco in the first class cabin of Delta jumbo jet. The phony-detector in my head was flashing red almost the entire time. I have never in my life seen so much fawning on the part of flight attendants nor anyone receiving such fawning with quite the same level of apparent belief it was the least that could be offered. Everyone in that cabin was supposed to be aware that a higher being had graced us with her presence.
Flynn calls her “an author more revered than read,” and that gets to the heart of the Angelou phenomenon. I will give her credit, as Flynn does, for playing a role very well. That role was as a victim who rose beyond her victimhood to become an icon. But an icon of victimhood as badge of honor, cultivating a voice, a manner, a persona that embodied dignity, thereby triggering waves of adulation from those who, out of guilt or hope, devoutly wished her to be a giant, so that all who have been a dealt a bad hand at birth could similarly rise and find dignity. She gave the suckers what they wanted.  Flynn has got her number:

    “I’m not modest,” Angelou explained last year to the AP. “I have no modesty.” She got to know herself, apparently, after getting to know poetry and politics and songs and stage. She usurped her parents’ privilege by renaming herself after finding “Marguerite Johnson” not quite arresting enough. In this spirit, she insisted that others call her “Dr. Angelou” though she never obtained a college degree.
 (continued)

Thank You.


12 comments:

Skoonj said...

Now she's a GOOD Communist.

Anonymous said...

Anjerklow was a third rate, racist 'poet' with a big mouth, big ego, big pretentions and no talent.
Why, Captain Benghazi could have been her son. No doubt he'll note that when he eulogizes her.
Lt. Col. Gen. Tailgunner dick

Leonard Jones said...

Being a straight middle aged male, I am not a big fan of
poetry. But then Angelou was no poet. In order for
it to be called poetry, the words have to rhyme. She was
a typical liberal, a malignant narcissist who believed
she was the smartest person who ever lived. Does this
remind you of anyone?

And also just like Obama, she had multiple (7) auto-
biographies. While she had hundreds of honorary
degrees, It does not surprise me that she had no actual
earned degree.

Just another liberal phony!

Helly said...

Is it time yet to talk honestly about Maya Angelou?

No, don't act like a Lefty. If you weren't interested enough to discuss her while she was alive, the time has past. Now judgement is in God's hands.

Good morning!

SoylentGreen said...

Worth the scroll, RKOF. Worth the scroll. And here's a shout-out from Winston-Salem, NC - Angelou country.

Anonymous said...

Hiya Helly - You're a kind, civilized person, and I usually am too with all I meet, always giving them the benefit of the doubt, but I have no more kindness left for the overt Left.
I did discuss Anjelou on a forum years ago after she spoke at some big to-do - maybe a race protest in DC or an inaugural, I forget which, and I said the same thing at a little more length about her bullshit words delivered in her self-important pompous voice.
She was a no talent hack then, and I still hold that opinion. I'm grateful I won't have to hear her again forced upon us at some future occasion.
Lt. Col. Gen. Tailgunner dick

Anonymous said...

I don't care about ehr persona, or her politics. I wrote about her many times when she was still alive, saying that her poetry was crap. Always was. At least now we'll be spared MORE of her crap poetry.

Kim

toadold said...

Ask a liberal to name a poem that she wrote or to recite a favorite line from one of her poems. Much stuttering and the sound of crickets.

Helly said...

Stupid Rodger left us with this post. I'll get him later for this.

recite a favorite line from one of her poems. Much stuttering and the sound of crickets.

Au contraire, mon petite Crapaud. I already did. You wouldn't be able to understand the poetic metaphor, even if you could recognize the line. Such is self-inflicted contentment.

I ... I ... I ... I ... I ... I ... I ... I ... I did discuss Anjelou on a forum years ago

Should have stopped then.

It's impossible for narcissists to recognize when my comments don't concern them. Everything is about them. Angelou is dead, yet she still afflicts your mind. So your fragrantly self-referential comment tells us nothing about her former life, and more than anyone wants to know about your'n.

This is exactly why we have been warned for 1000's of years: de mortuis nil nisi bonum.

rickn8or said...

"de mortuis nil nisi bonum"

Helly, in that case, "She is dead and that is good."

And what Leonard Jones said.

toadold said...

Oh goodness La Petomaine squeaks out her defense of a fellow wind passer.

Anonymous said...

My wife was asking about this "alleged" poet's passing - she had never heard of her. I told her she was an awful poet and that was that. I am so tired of the media telling us what is good and what is not. This deceased person was not a talented poet - she was a hack of the worst order. The accolades the media are heaping on her are sickening.

Bolivar

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.