Saturday, May 03, 2014

The 1950's - Another Time, Another Place







Another Time, Another Place






My best friend in high school, Wally Ruzek, just sent me this "Lost in the Fifties- Another Time, Another Place" video.  It particularly resonates because Wally was from Long Island, me from Chicago, so we sort of  assimilated together into the preppy Towson HS culture.  Wally looked like Wally Cleaver, and he had the biggest collection of 45's I ever saw.  Having come from New York many of them were songs I, and certainly few in Maryland, had ever heard of.  Like the Dubs. The Five Satin's "In the Still of the Night," remains to this day one of my favorite tunes.

 I want to say I don't want to live in the past, but I am very comfortable there, and feel very fortunate to have come of age while Ike was president; a time when accidentally brushing against the softness of a girl's breast would make your head spin. Today, stuff like this is more than I can handle.  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Myself, I'm just a 1911 man trying to get by in a 2014 world...


Kim

gadfly said...

Whoa - Class of '57 and this baby hits home. Thanks, I added it to my blog with the appropriate link

Leonard Jones said...

Liberals love to say that we no longer live in a Leave
It To Beaver world. I say "Why the Hell not?"

Men respected women, most women married men before
having sex with them. Children did not fear being molested
on their walk to school. The average tax burden on a middle
class family allowed the woman to stay at home and tend
to the children.

The women's lib movement had yet to turn women into a
bunch of promiscuous sluts who aborted their unborn
babies like so much refuse. The public education system
actually worked. We were taught to respect not just our
parents, but all elders.

I only lived 3-1/2 years in that decade, but if I could
go back like a character in Twilight Zone episode, I would
do it in a heartbeat!

Anonymous said...

Geeze, Wally.

We ARE living in a "Leave it to Beaver" world.

Thing is, all the Lib Senators took after Eddy Haskell. They lie and smarm with straight face. Slip their hands into your pocket and fetch your wealth, all the while schmoozing you with complements.
See: Boxer, Pelosi, Feinstein, Schumer, Markey, Waxman, etc.

They tell you they are your friends, out to defend you from the evil Rethuglicans who want to throw Grammaw from the train, piss in the pool, dirty the air and water and take away your savings.
But they are the ones making you poor and ill. They are Eddy Haskells. And we are Beavers, always getting taken advantage of.

tom

Anonymous said...

Roger, I saw Moonrise Kingdom and thought of you.

thoR~

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.