Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Hoosier Daddy?


  TEXT

Da Meztgarino writes:

Anyone who grew up missing a father because of WWII or death or imprisonment or just going down to the corner for a pack of smokes and never coming back is aware of this to some degree.  I was fortunate to have a very experienced grandfather.  He didn't play catch or help me build things, but he was a great and reliable source of wisdom.

My mother married an affable drunk (as opposed to an alcoholic) who DID take me hunting, and fishing, and all that stuff.  He couldn't fix things, but he could find guys who could, and I watched 'em do it.

Still . . . there's that persistent feeling of being different, minimalized, the odd duck . . . especially if you're an only kid who has nobody with whom to commiserate.

cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/woman-raised-lesbian-couple-i-ached-every-day-dad

Heather Barwick, who was raised by her mother and her mother's lesbian partner, wrote in an essay this week that same-sex "marriage" is not the same as normal marriage between a man and a woman, that the traditional family is best, and that while growing up she "ached every day for a dad."

Barwick, who is 31 now, married, and has four children, said that "same-sex marriage and parenting withholds either a mother or father from a child while telling him or her that it doesn't matter. That it's all the same. But it's not."

"A lot of us, a lot of your kids, are hurting," wrote Barwick in her essay for The Federalist website. "My father's absence created a huge hole in me, and I ached every day for a dad. I loved my mom's partner, but another mom could never have replaced the father I lost."

"I grew up surrounded by women who said they didn’t need or want a man," said Barwick. "Yet, as a little girl, I so desperately wanted a daddy. It is a strange and confusing thing to walk around with this deep-down unquenchable ache for a father, for a man, in a community that says that men are unnecessary."

[Full TEXT]

Me and sister were lucky; mom married a wonderful man after dad was KIA.  I'm sure there are a hundred stories out there about gay parenting "success."  All I will say is, if I was adopted by lesbian parentsand Heather Barwick was also adopted by them tooand she was, say, a year younger than me—....  Well,  I think we would learn together about the joys of the hetero condition.  When Mom and Doris were out bowling. 





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr Sowell said it best with 'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. In area after area - crime, education, housing, race relations - the situation has gotten worse after the bright new theories were put into operation. The amazing thing is that this history of failure and disaster has neither discouraged the social engineers nor discredited them.'

Tim

Hell_Is_Like_Newark said...

Reading the comments at the link: It appears the author stirred up a hornet's nest of anger and angst directed at her. A few comment accused her of trying to destroy the Civil Rights movement by being against gay marriage..

I remember back 20+ years ago in college gays and lesbians were really against marriage, stating that is was part of the heterosexua-patriarch-slave-society.. blah blah blah blah.

I had one of my libbie art instructors (I was STEM.. but still had to take courses in liberal arts) once stated on my paper: "Marriage and the nuclear family is a disruption by capitalism to create greater consumption."

Now gays and lesbians all want to be married.

Anonymous said...

Why lose any sleep over the problems of sexual minorities and their infantile tantrums?

They are maladjusted people who are deeply unhappy and will never achieve happiness because they don't even have a clue what will make them happy. Many of them do, however, get great satisfaction out of putting their angst on display and demanding that society at large change its values to accommodate them.

Phil N. LeBlanc

Anonymous said...

"the joys of the hetero condition"
Excellent way of stating the obvious!
olds-mo-william

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.